Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    Thanks Paul! I appreciate the good intentions regardless..

Well, I did get some help with the rear bumper, but found out that the holes in the custom frame wouldn't allow the bumper to go as tight against the body as I wished, so after a little thought I decided to put new holes in the bumper bracket (which Trifive Richard did for me on his bridgeport after I removed the brackets. I have the brackets back from Richard and have reassembled the rear bumper (after first checking the brackets against the holes in the frame), but now I'm awaiting some assistance to again get the rear bumper up to the body and bolt it on... (update ahead hopefully)..

While waiting, I've cleaned, polished, and waxed the FRONT Bumper sections and yesterday assembled the front bumper now having it ready to mount as well (IF I have room), although I'm thinking probably the front fenders need to be in place before installing the front bumper?? What say you fellas?

Also in looking at the Assembly manual for the front bumper, it appears there's a bracket which runs from the outside almost straight towards the frame? I don't have such a bracket and my original '57 Sedan doesn't have that bracket either? This is from the point on the bumper where it attached to the bottom of the fenders??

front bumper assembly.pdf

The part is called 'Brace, front bumper rear, PN 3734111 and 112. Was this part installed on all '57's? Is it a part that typically get eliminated when front bumpers are removed/reinstalled?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-17-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    I can't tell you about all 57's. I can tell you my 2dr HT has the braces, and to me they make sense, providing triangular structural support of the front bumper and lower part of the fenders, and match the mounting hole/bolt on the bumper. I assume all 57 cars had those braces.
    Regards, Doug

Hi Doug,

and Thanks.. the PAM certainly implies they all got it, but my '57 Nomad and my '57 Sedan doesn't... I need to scout those up before I assemble the front of my Nomad...

Gary

The parts I need are available in the aftermarket for $25 each, but I'd rather have original parts if possible... If any of you have these parts extra, let me know via PM what you'd want for them. I'd be looking for straight and rust free (surface rust and dirt no problem as I'll be cleaning, prepping and priming/painting).. meanwhile, i'm heading to my other shop to dig thru my parts and brackets.. maybe I'll get lucky and find them? Per the PAM assembly diagrams, the original parts were pn 3734111 and 3734112, and referred to as 'front bumper rear brace, LH and RH. They should be 'straight' and close to 18" in length from bolt hole to bolt hole.

Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-18-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Chevynut alerted me to a pair of brackets (rear braces for front bumper) on ebay for sale, so I ordered them and received them over Christmas. They are good with only very light surface rust/dirt on them and they are unbent. Today I hope to get over to my shop and beadblast them in preparation for prepping and painting.

I've not been in here for a week or more due to losing my computer disk drive (wtih all my accesses and passwords).. but I'm gradually getting back to speed on the sites I frequent (this one was the last one I really needed to get back).

PS. RANT ON. I spent a week dealing with (and cursing) a new computer which had Windows 11 on it, before I finally took it back and just replaced the system drive in my old computer with a 250 GB 'ram drive', and Staples reloaded Windows 10 on it for me. I understand MS states they will support Windows 10 until at least 2025. Before I will use Windows 11, I think I will give up on computers, even though I've worked with computers daily since 1968 or so! IMO Microsoft has done more to hold back improvements in computer/software technology than all other companies combined, and it's all due to the 'monopoly' that our government allows MS to continue to exert over our society! Microsoft's ONLY interest is in promoting/propagating that monopoly and forcing companies and individuals to 'pay a passage' every year for whatever crap they want to throw at us, and curriently it seems to be the 'social media crap that is driving all their changes, rather than improving efficiency and utility! RANT OFF... and I apologize!

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    I read the same as you, that Windows will support WIN10 thru March 2025. I have been getting notices on my PC that I could update to 11, and to check to see if my PC can be updated. When I checked, I see that my PC is not compatible with WIN11. My wife's PC is even older than mine, so figure her PC can't be updated either.
    Regards, Doug

Doug,

If you're familiar with windows 10, and even LIKE the older 'classic windows' functions, then you do not want to even think about Windows 11.. It's so bad, that I fully expect microsoft to replace it or modify it into something usable. I had the system up for a week before I took it back, and several basic functions I never was able to find out how to do them!

PS. the later updates to Windows 10 will make win10 LOOK a lot like windows 11 (Microsoft's way of slowwalking users to where they want them to be!).. but you can still get your jobs done with upgraded 10... although if I could install an earlier version of 10, I'd reject the later updates to it!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 12-28-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I like each new edition of Windows less than the one it replaced.

Member #:530
    you guys are still on PCs? Running Windows (anything versions)?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast