Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Did you forget the C7 does NOT have a rear sway bar, and there are many other vehicles that don't for some reason. What size sway bar does NASCAR use in the rear?
    Pretty sure Nascar stopped allowing rear sway bars with the Gen 6 car design, so it's not that they don't use them because they don't work.

Member #:3217
    If the frame structure is 'rigid enough' to prevent flex, then having a large sway bar on the front will prevent the entire car from 'swaying'... ie. one end of the cannot sway without the other swaying.. and that may be Billy's reasoning as well; he has stated that he can jack up one corner and raise 3 tires off the ground.

CN: Your battery box design looks great.. (NASA-like).. but I don't think I could afford to have someone else make one, and it would take me 'forever' to make it.. (My skills are not up to yours!)..

I hear people talk about a 'drop down' battery box, but hadn't seen one.. so a search on ebay comes up with one that looks promising and available from several sellers (not sure who designs/fabs it?)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Dro...dVu80h&vxp=mtr

What do you folks think about this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Did you forget the C7 does NOT have a rear sway bar,
    Did you forget we're talking about a C4 suspension, not a C7? And only the base model C7 doesn't have a swaybar, the Z51, Z06/7 and GS performance models do. A lot of guys are adding the Z51 swaybars to their non-Z51 cars and reporting much better handling.

Of course it only matters if you're looking for best performance, not on a grocery getter/cruiser.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...ist-photo.html

" I can now say from experience that the car is far more solid with a rear bar installed than with nothing in the rear. It feels much more controlled accelerating out of a turn. The Z51 front bar is only .079 larger in diameter than the base. I think it would be hard to detect any difference between having a 26 mm or 28 mm front bar. Whatever your point of view is on this issue I can say that based on driving the the car with and without a rear sway bar the car has more stability with the rear bar."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-not-z06.html

"I put the Z51 sway bar "set" on my base '14. Made a BIG difference in handling with no change in ride. I then added the Z51 shocks which stiffened and, frankly, improved the ride from my perspective, as well as improving the handling (less roll). I changed out the rear sway on my '15 Z51 to the 'mag' sway which took out a bit more roll. All are essential mods for me."
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I hear people talk about a 'drop down' battery box, but hadn't seen one.. so a search on ebay comes up with one that looks promising and available from several sellers (not sure who designs/fabs it?)...
    What do you folks think about this one?
    Bamanomad, that's the one I used....got it from Speedway. Seems to be well built and looks good. It's all stainless.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Bamanomad, that's the one I used....got it from Speedway. Seems to be well built and looks good. It's all stainless.
    So your other custom designed hardware was to mount that box?? Do you think there is a more simple way to mount it? or ?? What issues were you addressing with your custom mount design?

So your other custom designed hardware was to mount that box?? Do you think there is a more simple way to mount it? or ?? What issues were you addressing with your custom mount design?
    Yes, as I said above the box was purchased and I made the mount for it. I didn't want to mount it to the tub so I designed the mount so I didn't have to have any fasteners to the tub. The plate with the jumper lugs is what supports the box from tipping out. The battery is heavy, so the mount needs to be strong. Since I mocked it up in the pics, I added one nut on the front upper corner and plan to weld a small tab to the tub to support that end. It's very strong as is....I hung my body on it...but I want to be sure it doesn't vibrate and break.

I chose to make it out of 3/8" steel rod but it could be made out of something else like a flat plate bolted to the body brace with spacers, or with a jog to clear the tub....my tubs are wider than stock. I would support it with a diagonal brace where my jumper lugs are.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Here's how Chuck did it after I showed him my pics. I didn't like mounting it bridging the frame and the body together, but maybe it's not a big deal. He used the same box and made the mount out of rod like I did.

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showt...=119565&page=2

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:40
    Today I went to Nashville, TN and completed purchase of another Nomad (57) project, then trailered it home.. This is a Nomad 'kit', but the main attraction to me is that the body work and paint have been completed (a few years ago), but the owner ran into $$ difficulty and didn't complete it. The bodywork and paint are nicely done (and certainly cured by now).. The body is sitting on the original frame again, barely bolted on and it will come back off and go onto my Corvette Corrections chassis. I will also use the LS1/4L60 trans combo and all the other prepared/restored parts which I'd completed for my other '57 Nomad (bodywork/paint NOT complete as yet). Attached are some photos of the car as I purchased it... I'll post more photos here as I prepare the parts and begin assemblying the car... PS. This is an early Nov '56 LA assembly, spent some time in southern Calif, then went to Texas in the 80's.. and to Nashville TN about 10 yrs ago. Originally was a sierrra gold/adobe beige car before the repaint...

Attachment 7037Attachment 7038Attachment 7039Attachment 7040

congrats Bama! looks like a good start. gonna be fun putting trim on that paint, gonna really pop. good luck with her
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMooks View Post
    congrats Bama! looks like a good start. gonna be fun putting trim on that paint, gonna really pop. good luck with her
    Thanks Mike.. I'm liking it more and more each time I touch it.. Today I put insurance on it, installed rubber grommets between the fenders and hood, and sorted and cleaned some parts and primed for painting so I can attach the hood latch and associated hardware. I will have to remove the front clip before I lift the body up for frame replacement, so the front clip comes off and will go back on asap after. I'm planning on leaving the doors and tailgate installed for the lift (they are empty so weight is minimal and they are perfectly adjusted. I might add the weatherstrip on those parts for additional protection during the lift, although with the rigidity of a Nomad body I don't expect any problem in that regards.

PS. The liftgate is very nice - no pitting and has never been rechromed, but the top of the frame is torqued a bit so it will be coming to you or somewhere to get straightened and rechromed...

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast