Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Banned

Member #:2775
    Awesome! I love the stainless trim, but I am really hating putting it on, and mine won't have much. I wish someone could come up with a good way to just stick them on for a lot of pieces.

Member #:1723
    Hi Bama,
    Those were some big steps forward! The completed windshield install and trim, and the tailgates install look great! Real purdy, really pops!
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3217
    I appreciate the nice comments Doug, and RD.. (Although I'm quickly learning that regardless how badly you want an install or task to 'go perfectly', that *nothing* is perfect! I learned that long ago, but I suppose with this car I'd forgotten ...

RD? Is your car a 210 or BelAir? (ps. The factory did go to 'stick on' trim, but not for about 15-20 years AFTER our trifives were built! You may remember how many complained when that happened!)..

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I got really lucky my brother in law did an excellent job restoring my 56 BA ht stainless, plus helped install it. My 72 Cheyanne Super has a mix if glue on and bolt on fastners on the body side moldings.

Factory Dash-Speaker Grill retainer ??

I'm missing one of the little retainers (screw thread with retainer clip).. that is used to retain the factory radio speaker grill to the top of the dash. (See photos). Does anyone have an extra, or can you suggest a source for, or an alternative for it??

IMG_0085 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg

And while I'm asking, Can one of you suggest a decent aftermarket 'stereo' speaker to fit behind this grill and not interfere with Vintage Air Evap? I'm going to put in 'some kind' of stereo, but haven't decided yet. The dash speaker *may* be the only speaker I install, or I might decide to put a couple of 'detachable' speaker boxes under the rear seat. All suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-05-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Upper Liftgate Hinge Shims??

I'm not happy with the fit of the liftgate to the body on my Nomad. Apparently the way to 'fix' this by bringing the liftgate a little tighter/closer to the body is use of shims between the hinges and the body (inner roof structure). There are two hinges with six bolts retaining each of them to the body as shown in the photo. I can't imagine trying to use washers for each of the six bolts and keeping them all in place while getting the bolts started! See photo..

I am thinking that a 2" x 2" piece of 1/16" metal with appropriate holes drilled in them would suffice and be adaptable (two thickness would move the liftgate in by 1/8") and would still be possible get all the bolts started.. What have the rest of you wagon owners used for this? Is there a source for such shims, or am I needing to cut / drill some appropriate shims?
    liftgate hinge.jpg

Member #:2442
    I would think you would have to make those shims yourself. Not hard to do. What I have found helps when trying to line things up and get shims installed is make studs for about half the holes or so to get the hinges lined and in place then replace them one at a time with the bolts so the shims stay in place.

I think you're right, Custer.. I was only asking in case someone had a better solution~

I planned on drilling the holes oversize to aid in getting the bolts started. There are nutplates in the body structure so all the 'nuts' move together.

Registered Member

Member #:4460
    Looking really good!

Thank you Timo, but my progress has really slowed this past year with all the virus stuff ...

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast