Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:115
    Well I got the tubes fitted, cleaned up and polished ready for welding. I need to practice a little before I attempt TIG welding this thin tubing. But now the PCV system is completely finished, and the A/C can be leak-checked as soon as I get these condenser lines welded up and installed.

IMG_5066.jpeg

IMG_5064.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Just noticed this in my Summit catalog with the fuel lines you used. It says for "non-ethanol" use.
    IMG_3082.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Just noticed this in my Summit catalog with the fuel lines you used. It says for "non-ethanol" use.
    Who uses a catalog? I throw them away when they send them to me, and only shop online. Nowhere on their website does it say that for any brand of their stainless steel CPE hose. And it really doesn't say "don't use with ethanol", it says "recommended for non-ethanol blended gasoline". They need to be a lot more clear than that even if they only say "not recommended for ethanol-blended gasoline". Strange that they put that in their catalog and not on the website. I posted a negative review but don't know if they published it yet.

Besides, if you look up the fluid compatibility for CPE it says it's compatibility with ethanol is "good".
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-03-2023 at 11:47 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

I don't run ethanol in any of my 9 car toys, mower etc., so it's never been an issue with any type of hose or causing a corroded carburetor problem, and they sit for months over the winter. I only use it in my daily drivers that are designed to run ethanol in them, and they run great forever.
    Ethanol is a terrible fuel to have in your fuel system especially while sitting for months at a time, and it absorbs water too.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-04-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Member #:3217
    I totally agree with RD's posting above, but we've had this discussion previously and aren't likely to change anyone's hard held notions regarding ethanol fuel..

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I don't run ethanol in any of my 9 car toys, mower etc., so it's never been an issue with any type of hose or causing a corroded carburetor problem, and they sit for months over the winter. I only use it in my daily drivers that are designed to run ethanol in them, and they run great forever.
    Ethanol is a terrible fuel to have in your fuel system especially while sitting for months at a time, and it absorbs water too.
    I don't know what that has to do with this fuel hose issue, but you always drift off-topic and muck up my build threads, so I'm not really surprised.

It's almost impossible to find ethanol-free fuel here in northern Colorado, and I know of one gas station in all of Fort Collins with ethanol-free gasoline, and there aren't any in Lincoln, Montana nor within about 60+ miles of there. I only know of ONE station in Lolo, Montana that sells it for snowmobiles. It's just not easily obtained in the west and not widely available as far as I know, and I've traveled many times from Colorado to Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, and other states. Of course I am usually buying diesel but I don't see ethanol-free pumps many places. It's also significantly more expensive than ethanol blends because it's considered a "boutique" fuel that you can only get in a limited places. It's not as expensive as the $37 a gallon Stihl fuel they sell to rip off their chainsaw customers, though.

All new cars for the past decade or more are designed to run E10 and it has been mandated in the winter in Colorado for a couple of decades, at least. Colorado required it long ago in the winter because it's an "oxygenated" fuel that reduces pollution. I run E10 in everything and have never had a problem with it in my cars, mowers, weed eater, chainsaws, ATVs or snowmobiles. I have had to clean out the pilot jets in the out-dated carbs on two of my snowmobiles every winter, but everyone says they have to do that regardless of fuel type. Same with my two carbed ATVs. I never see any corrosion or any obvious junk in the fuel bowls, however, and don't have any problems with hoses on them. My other two snowmobiles are EFI, as are my other two ATVs. I'll never buy another carbureted "toy" ever again.

My Nomad is EFI and everything on it is designed for E10, including the stainless fuel tank, pump, filter, and fuel hardlines. The injectors are compatible with ethanol. The only thing that apparently isn't is this garbage Summit fuel line, which they don't explicitly say is not compatible with ethanol fuels. I wonder why multiple sources say CPE is compatible with ethanol if this crap isn't.....maybe it's not really CPE like they claim.

https://www.hoseandfittings.com/tech...al-resistance/

There's nothing wrong with ethanol fuel if you design a car to use it like the hundreds of millions of newer cars on the road that don't have a problem with it. That's how I intended to design my Nomad, and apparently you choose to chase down out-dated fuel instead. It's as bad as running around looking for an EV charging station.
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-04-2023 at 10:37 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I totally agree with RD's posting above, but we've had this discussion previously and aren't likely to change anyone's hard held notions regarding ethanol fuel..
    Of course there's pros and cons to ethanol-blended fuels but I won't get into the politics of it here. The science says it lowers emissions and raises octane rating. And since 99% of the cars on the road run ethanol blends, I'd say you guys lost the debate.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    There's an issue that you didn't mention in your response to RD, Lazslo... and that fact is that THIS SITE is for vehicle more than 60 yrs old (Not vehicles less than 10, or just for older vehicles updates to modern standards). Additionally, MOST of our older vehicles, and probably your own updated Nomad, SIT for much longer periods than anyone's daily driver, and 'sitting' ethanol causes a multitude of problems!

Banned

Ethanol changes properties when sitting and you apparently have starting and fuel line issues for that reason. If you were driving it all of the time it would probably be fine. It has been known for years not to use the CPE lined hose with ethanol that was developed for aircraft in the 1950's, and that it gets replaced frequently even without alcohol. Sure, you can use CPE with ethanol, but not indefinitely. I didn't bring up the subject of bad fuel hose caused by ethanol fuel sitting in the system for who knows how long btw. You should know more than anyone now that you should have used regular gas, at least until it is on the road which could still be quite a way off yet. It loves to collect water that causes damage when it gets stagnant going nowhere.
    Your work looks great though. Just get it on the road.
    Performance Fuel Hoses - When Good Hoses Go Bad (motortrend.com)
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-05-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Member #:530
    I plumbed my fuel system completely in stainless hardline, except for the final (pre made pfte) hose connection at the fuel rail. I didn't want any flex or rubber in it, fearing it as a weak point. Only needed flex at the engine. Its been working without issue for over 7 years now.
    Here's some pics.

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast