Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:3217
    Paul? Did you think about how you'd access those hard line fittings between your tank/regulator IF you had to replace or service your fuel pump??

Member #:2442
    Thanks to all for posting on the cpe Hose issue. Now I know to always use teflon Hose for fuel lines.

Member #:530
    Bama, I put an access panel in the floor of the cargo area over the top of the tank pump and sending unit. I've already removed them both to check another issue using that access hole, and didn't need to drop the tank. I can get to all the connections from the approx. 6 x 6 access hole cut into the floor. The cover is a flat piece of sheet metal sitting tight to the floor with 6 low profile-head machine screws threaded into nutserts mounted into the floor sheet metal. The plan is to just cover it with carpeting later on when the interior goes in.
    Easy peasy.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 02-08-2023 at 05:52 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    I figured you'd done that since it didn't look like you could drop the tank with the hard line fuel lines in place.. Good deal!

Member #:115
    Well I got the fuel lines replaced this week. I used a roll of PTFE hose I had and got new Earle's hose ends, and used one Russell hose end and a couple of Aeroquip ones I had. I checked the dimensions of all parts and they were all the same, and everything went together well.

Getting to the front fuel lines was a real pain in the ass, but I got them out and the new ones back in.

IMG_5085.jpeg

To replace the rear lines I had to partially drop the tank again and use a crows-foot wrench to get the nuts off the front bulkhead fittings. That required removing two hardlines, one from the tank to the fuel filter and another to a bulkhead fitting on the frame. Also had to disconnect the fuel filler tube. I used the old lines as patterns for the new ones. They're a lot stiffer than the old lines so getting the fittings to line up and start threading on was a little frustrating. Sure glad I put that fuel pump access hole in the cargo floor. Anyhow it's all done.....

IMG_5092.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    You guys have got me thinking about where I want the fuel line connections on the Corvette. There’s currently one on top of the bell housing, kinda like yours Laszlo. I may rethink that.

Member #:516
    Hey Laszlo, Aren't those fittings just "AN" fittings? I would think that anyone that makes them would follow the "AN" specs. Anyway I wish I had the money and energy to build what you've done!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Troy, "AN" fittings are standardized for the areas where they couple together, and for tubing. Hose fittings can (and should) be different for the hose interface because hose dimensions and sealing requirements vary.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Hey Laszlo, Aren't those fittings just "AN" fittings? I would think that anyone that makes them would follow the "AN" specs. Anyway I wish I had the money and energy to build what you've done!!
    Yes they are AN 37 degree flare fittings. I have found that Aeroquip, Earl's, and Russell hose ends for PTFE hose are all identical based on my measurements of the OD of the hose end tube, the ID and OD of the "olive", and the threads on the locking nut. All three of them use brass "olives" which are not re-usable because they crimp down on the hose liner against the tube on the hose end. Stainless braided PTFE hoses are good for a lot higher pressures than rubber hoses with a typical -6AN PTFE hose having a maximum working pressure of 2500PSI and burst pressure of around 9-10,000 PSI. A -6 stainless braided rubber hose max pressure is 1000-1500 PSI.

This is what an "olive" looks like if you haven't seen one...it goes between the hose liner and the outer stainless braid.

Here's what the PTFE braided stainless hose looks like...

This is how it goes together. The steel tube on the hose end goes inside the PTFE liner and the olive goes outside of it. The nut on the left crimps the olive.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1723
    Hey Chevynut,
    Great documentation - very clear with the detail pics!
    Thanks, Doug

Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast