Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:115
    I finally got all the plumbing and wiring done on the passenger side except for the A/C hardlines and the headlight connector. Radiator overflow hose is installed and I got the 1/2" PCV hose I ordered. Still have to get a stainless line bent up to finish the PCV plumbing. I'll probably have TubesNHoses make up the stainless A/C hardlines and PCV tube for me if they can. I don't know what headlights I'm using yet so I'm going to wait on the connector. Working on finishing up the driver's side now.

IMG_5017.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    Looking good Laszlo! Everything nice and tidy.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Banned

Member #:2775
    Too bad it will all hidden away for nobody to see ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Too bad it will all hidden away for nobody to see ever again.
    Personally I think that's a good thing. Wiring, plumbing, and all sorts of crap on the firewall and inner fenders looks like shit imo.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    That's why cars have hoods. I would drive it without the fenders and hood to make sure everything is good to go with no leaks, etc. while you can still see everything. I didn't need to on mine since I kept everything out in the open where I can easily check or get to it. Driving it I can't see any of it. Yeah, I know my intake system isn't pretty, but it was only $60 from ebay and it works.
    IMG_0350.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-24-2023 at 03:59 PM.

I finished the wiring on the driver's side and got the hood release set up. It was a bit of a challenge getting all the fan and horn wiring from the relay box into the radiator support. I also hooked up the temperature sensor for the mirror. The front end electrical is now all ready to test. I have designed all the tubes for the A/C and PCV and will have them bent up locally. I could do it myself but I need some tighter bends than my benders will do on the #8 A/C lines.

Attachment 13207

Attachment 13208

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Ignore these clowns Laszlo. I have them on permanent ignore and NEVER see their comments ANYWHERE on here. It's great.
    Don't waste your energy on them.
    Keep on posting on your progress here. The Nomad you are building is a work of art, and will be a drivable animal soon.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Ignore these clowns Laszlo. I have them on permanent ignore and NEVER see their comments ANYWHERE on here. It's great.
    Don't waste your energy on them. Keep on posting on your progress here. The Nomad you are building is a work of art, and will be a drivable animal soon.
    Thanks Paul. I have been trying to bit my tongue but had enough of it. And yes, it's the same three as before. I'd prefer if Sid would remove all of his comments and my replies to him from all my threads, but at least one of them would call that "censorship". Looks like I may not have to put up with one of them anymore.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Last night I was up late working on testing my front end electrical stuff out. I found and fixed a couple of issues and now my fans and horns work like they're supposed to.

I had two warning lights on the VHX instruments, one "check engine" and the other was a "brake" warning. I don't have any brake fluid in the reservoir yet, so I pulled the cap off and tested the float and it works to turn the light off. I also plan to add an e-brake warning switch.

The "check engine" light is connected to my ECU output that I've programmed to give an over-temperature warning, but that wasn't the problem. It's also connected to my hood open sensor, so I defeated that....but the light stayed on. The only thing still connected was the coolant level sensor in the recovery tank. I drained the tank and pulled the sensor, and as I moved the float up and down the light would go off an on. But it's BACKWARDS! The sensor makes contact to ground with the tank is FULL, not empty. I used a BMW sensor and thought I had checked to make sure it worked correctly years ago, but it doesn't. I put the sensor in the bottom of the tank, but apparently BMW put it in the top of the tank facing down. I need to invert that signal now to make it work like it's supposed to. Not sure how I over-looked that since it was so long ago.

But the biggest problem.......

When I turned the key on the fuel pump ran, but I noticed it sounded a little different than it has in the past. It seemed to run longer before it got to pressure. I didn't think much about it and started checking out the lights, then I smelled gas. I was afraid I was having a repeat of the problem I had at the gas tank with the Summit braided stainless hose. So I looked under the car to see if there was any fuel back there. What I saw was fuel all over the floor up by the engine.

That GODDAM SUMMIT RACING BRAIDED STAINLESS HOSE FAILED AGAIN!

I was afraid this might happen after having it fail back at the tank. But this is more critical since the fuel lines run right over the headers and behind the intake to the fuel rail.

20170207_007.JPG

This is the second failure of the Summit Racing hose and I'm abandoning it altogether. I replaced it in the rear with Earl's fuel hose but in front I'm going with teflon braided. The Summit hose must be sourced from one of the other suppliers, but I don't know who. This is the hose I used....DO NOT USE IT!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230610

These rubber stainless braided hoses supposedly have a CPE (Chlorinated Polyethylene) inner tube and are supposed to be resistant to ethanol, gasoline, diesel, oil, etc. I have a bunch of -6AN teflon braided stainless hose that I plan to use. It's mostly for power steering and other high pressure applications, but I don't trust ANY rubber hose at this point. I just have to find the right hose ends to make it work, and not all ends are offered for the teflon hose.

Always two steps forward and one step back.
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-31-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Ouch! But hey look at it this way. At least you found out about this subpar hose NOW before you were out on the road with a car on fire...
    FWIW, I used a short pre-made teflon hose at the fuel rail connection area. Hasn't leaked a bit. And it passes directly over the passenger side header.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast