Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good guys custom of the year

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    I tried to lead CN down that same path with his console but he didn't bite.....
    I'm not sure what you're talking about Rocky, but I've looked through every one of my interior threads here and this is the only thing I found where you did any 3D stuff for me. And I don't see anything about my console anywhere. Do you have the other pics you're referring to?

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...esign-feedback
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about Rocky, but I've looked through every one of my interior threads here and this is the only thing I found where you did any 3D stuff for me. And I don't see anything about my console anywhere. Do you have the other pics you're referring to?

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...esign-feedback

See link post #7. I make my first attempt with crude photo chop of your design. You and Rick for some reason thought I was referring to the same bottom radius that Robert suggested and Rick said it is not a jelly Bean lol. Several threads latter you realized what I was trying to suggest lol.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...CONSOLE+DESIGN

Okay, thanks for reminding me....I searched all my posts in the Interior Forum and that one was in Metalworking. Once I saw it, I remembered the discussion. Yes, I was initially confused about where you were referring to the radius, as I thought you wanted me to make the FACE of the valence curved like the dash. I didn't see your gray mod in the first picture until later.

In any case, I still think the tighter curve on mine looks better than the large radius. To me, that big panel in the middle looks out of place on the GG car. It is interesting how they covered it with the embossed metal and I think that helps. If it was painted I think it would look worse.

Notice also how high the GG car's valence starts. I wanted to keep my glove box so I started it below the dash.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I posted the Shomad to see what others thought about it, its the only one that I can remember where the flow is more like a modern car.

To me the idea is to make the console flow into the dash, like its an extension of the dash, instead of being an add on. JMO
    There are many different ways to join the two, or they could just butt together its all personal preference, but I like the way the factories have been doing it the last few decades.There are so many more controls and monitors wanted and even needed today, so to me it makes more sense to use that space for that purpose so everything is convenient instead of hiding stuff.

I don't think I would finish the dash the way the Shomad is, its just the basic idea that I think is impressive. Just one man's opinion, no disrespect intended. The world would be boring if everyone wanted the same thing.
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s438/...751c4a3eb8cc34

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I posted the Shomad to see what others thought about it, its the only one that I can remember where the flow is more like a modern car.
    Thanks for posting Lee! I always learn "SOMETHING" from everybody. Keeping an open mind is how one learns. Even the smallest detail may be just what someone is looking for.

Seems like most guys are "religious" about not cutting on a stock dash so they tend to leave them alone. I don't have any of Bruce's interior pictures but he brought his console all the way up past the glove box on his '55 sedan. New cars do integrate the console and dash into basically one unit, kind of like an extension of the dash. I don't know why, but I felt like mine should be removable. Looks like they didn't even try to do that in Shomad. It's probably easier to build if you don't have to worry about getting it out.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I bet if you remove the trim off the console, you can probably lift out the console top. I'm sure they made it in a way that there would be no reason to have to remove the whole console.
    But its built the way they wanted it, and you did yours the way you wanted it, and that is all that matters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9hn...ature=youtu.be

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I saw that car at the Portland Roadster show in 2007. Here's a pic of it then with the metalwork finished. Sure took them a long time to finish it.
    Really, you really just said that?

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Really, you really just said that?
    LIKE LOL

And not that it matters but on topic here is an example of console with big radius blending into valance glove box retained possible. Again I plug my effort to steer CN in same direction.
    http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...console+design

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast