Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbee

Member #:115
    Everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes. I see old-school guys bash wheels any larger than 15" while some like 20"+ wheels. Some guys like wide tires on back and skinny tires up front....some like them low, some like them stock height. Some guys like the nostalgia of the SBC with a carburetor. Some guys like "patina" which I see as just another "nostalgia" thing.

What I see today is most guys like an old-looking car with modern upgrades and styling cues like larger wheels. I see guys at car shows crowding around the high end modernized cars while almost nobody cares about the restored cars. Pro Street is thankfully just about dead, and has been replaced by Pro Touring. Pro Street was supposed to be a drag car that runs on the street with the big balloon tires and with handling that was worse than anything else on the street. Some guys even tried to drive cars with spools that skidded around a corner. Dumb, imo. Pro Touring has replaced Pro Street and the car has to both go fast, and handle excellent.....a much more balanced view of how a car should be. The high end cars driving the industry trends don't have carburetors....virtually all have EFI. They have big brakes for stopping, updated suspensions and shocks, smaller steering wheels and better and more responsive steering and larger wheels. They're basically incorporating all the new technology into older cars.

To me there's nothing "exciting" about driving a stock 50's car. I guess I'm not very nostalgic because the new stuff is what interests me. I'll never own another car with a carburetor unless it's a fully restored muscle car. And I believe the "patina" thing is just a fad that will pass with time. Just my opinion, and I'm glad everyone doesn't like the same things.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2941
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Driving an old original car is a step back in time to the way the car drove like it did back in the day. Just because it's old and not hiding it with flash they are actually a blast to drive. It was a thrill to drive my 1930 Ford Model A to it's limits at 45mph finding the fastest line through a corner to not lose speed. Old cars are not all trying to be new cars again. They have a special feel, smell, sound, plus they have personality that can't be polished, or chromed. The only thing that really sucked on the 30 Ford and others at the time, were the mechanical brakes. It didn't need 13 inch brake rotors, just decent hydraulic drums would have been awesome.
    That's kinda how I feel about my '57 210 4dr sedan, 55 Rescue Dog. She's my time machine. Still has the original tube type radio and single dash mounted speaker. I like the sound. Takes me back to better, simpler times. Wouldn't be the same with a modern sound system. Same for the way she drives and handles. Yes, I will make a few mechanical/handling/braking upgrades, but have no plans on adding anything that will in any way destroy the original character of the car.

I do plan on replacing the original 235 with a souped up 292 inline 6 one of these days, but it will be built as a circa late '50s/early '60s '3/4 race' 6-banger. No modern bolt-on 'kits' such as disc brakes or power steering. Anything altered will be hand fitted. I will add stiffer springs, a sway bar and heavy duty shocks and if I can scrounge up the parts, I'll adapt larger '59 - '64 drum brakes and maybe a power brake booster. About the only thing really 'modern' will be a good set of radial tires, which I consider a safety item on a 'driver'.

Yes, she's been repainted her original colour once many years ago and the paint is weathered now. I guess that rates as 'patina'. But if I can afford to, I will get a good paint job 'one of these days'.

I guess its really comes down to what each of us has as his vision for his car...... What he wants his classic to be. And what he can afford. Me...... I'd love to have a solid, cherry, low mileage original '57 like Laszlo's 210 4dr.

I've built five '55 Chevys and one '56 in years past. All my '55s had 'built' small blocks except that I eventually swapped a 450 HP LS6 454 big block into one of them and a 413 Chrysler out of a 1960 Plymouth police car into another. And a 400 Pontiac into the '56. I've done the V-8 thing. Now its time to take a step back in time. Just have some fun and build up a larger inline 6 for my '57.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 07-08-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    As I said, it's a pretty nice clean car that a lot of car guys can appreciate. But a lot of people are going to question why he doesn't paint it. To me, "patina" cars just say "I don't have the money for a decent paint job". That's TO ME.

I don't know why you guys keep saying I won't drive my car a beautiful, historic car. I think Dan drives Bruiser and lots of guys drive really nice cars. It's not going to be a daily driver, and I wouldn't want a tri5 daily driver myself....that takes away from the special rides when you do drive it, imo. I don't drive my Porsche every day but it's fun when I do.

It depends on your definition of "fun". I have a great time building things and after it's done it may not be as fun anymore to me.

So do I. I have a ~50K mile 57 4-door sedan from AZ with a 283PP and 3-speed on the column that I could be driving anytime and anywhere I wanted to if I chose to. But I'm not that interested in driving a stock car like that. And it's not even that worn out. I bought it to flip as a driver 9 years ago and haven't even sat in the driver's seat yet...it's in my son's barn. Maybe I should get it out and fire it up.

Attachment 7497
    To me this is a total shame not driving, maintaining, and improving a beautiful historic car. What a waste! It's like locking up an old horse in the barn, just because she's old, not pretty or fast anymore, and watch it stand there until it keels over! WOW
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    To me this is a total shame not driving, maintaining, and improving a beautiful historic car. What a waste! It's like locking up an old horse in the barn, just because she's old, not pretty or fast anymore, and watch it stand there until it keels over! WOW
    It's my property RD and I can do with it whatever I want....even crush it. The car has no "feelings" to get hurt. It's in my son's shop out of the sun and elements to protect my investment in it. If you're so worried about it sitting around un-driven and "neglected"how about you buying it so you have something to drive since your 55 is apparently not getting finished? It's for sale. 210, 283PP, 4bbl, 3-speed with OD, 99% rust-free, numbers matching, seamless frame, solid original floor. Just needs a few details to restore. $20K takes it.

You sound like those guys that bitch about cars "rotting away" in someone's barn and claim they "won't sell" but won't pay the money to buy it and take care of it. EVERYTHING has a price imo. This car means nothing to me except what I can eventually get out of it when I sell it. I bought it as an investment from the beginning. Once I clear out my shop a little by putting my Nomad body on the chassis and finishing the Hemi55's firewall and floor I'll probably haul it over to my shop and clean it up to sell it. It had been sitting for at least 5 years before I bought it. We put a new battery and some fuel in it and it fired right up. My friend drove it around 30 miles to my son's house and it's been sitting there ever since.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post
    I guess its really comes down to what each of us has as his vision for his car...... What he wants his classic to be. And what he can afford. Me...... I'd love to have a solid, cherry, low mileage original '57 like Laszlo's 210 4dr.
    Stock cars don't do much for me.....unless it's a 60's muscle car. I like cars that perform. I've never thought for one minute about restoring my Nomad, but I did flinch a little when it came to cutting the firewall out. I may get the 57 out of the barn and see if my wife wants to drive it. If she likes it maybe it'll become her baby. She's not a real car person and didn't grow up with these tri5 cars like I did. Her favorite car seems to be a C3 Corvette so maybe I can work out a trade for one. But I'd want a pre-73 C3 if we get one.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It's my property RD and I can do with it whatever I want....even crush it. The car has no "feelings" to get hurt. It's in my son's shop out of the sun and elements to protect my investment in it. If you're so worried about it sitting around un-driven and "neglected"how about you buying it so you have something to drive since your 55 is apparently not getting finished? It's for sale. 210, 283PP, 4bbl, 3-speed with OD, 99% rust-free, numbers matching, seamless frame, solid original floor. Just needs a few details to restore. $20K takes it.

You sound like those guys that bitch about cars "rotting away" in someone's barn and claim they "won't sell" but won't pay the money to buy it and take care of it. EVERYTHING has a price imo. This car means nothing to me except what I can eventually get out of it when I sell it. I bought it as an investment from the beginning. Once I clear out my shop a little by putting my Nomad body on the chassis and finishing the Hemi55's firewall and floor I'll probably haul it over to my shop and clean it up to sell it. It had been sitting for at least 5 years before I bought it. We put a new battery and some fuel in it and it fired right up. My friend drove it around 30 miles to my son's house and it's been sitting there ever since.
    It might be worth 20K looking and running/maintained like it should be. I might be interested in it at more like 10K in it's current state. It is a sweet car though. Even though it's stored inside, it's still in the elements of time, temperature, moisture, and RATS.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Member #:3460
    All your opinions are correct and I like all the input from everyone. This is a hobby that almost everything is good. Just for the record, my wife and I have the finished cars (ok, never finished, but done for now and are not Tri-Five) that we routinely take to shows. We were both Rodder's Reps for Goodguys, so we have seen may types of cars and love them all...Ok, Never liked Pro-Street. Ya gotta drive 'em is my feeling and they have to be safe. Pro-street was never safe. We have NSRA Safety 23 inspections done. We are car people and all aspects of the hobby and industry excites us.

Someday the '56 may in fact get painted. First I will upgrade the mechaicals. Put sway bars on, dual exhaust already. Disc brakes are next. Interior will be restored to stock. I like the look. It was a factory A/C car, so that will get reinstalled (I have most of the parts). My goal is to drive and enjoy it
    and that is what we have been doing.

Here are two of our 5 old cars. These are the two that get driven the most. Hers (Ford) has a full house flat head and mine (Plymouth) has a Chevy small block.
    Bob & Peggy's cars Edelbrock 2017.jpg
    Last edited by Hotrodbob; 07-09-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: miss spilling

Member #:3
    I Like all Cars , Nice ones ,Rat rods, New Cars &show Cars
    I think the funnest ones are nice ones

I was at the store the other night

There was a 1948 international truck , I would call rat rod or work in progress,

There was a brand new Corvette 10 spots up from it , I sat there for 45 Minutes . I did not see one person stop and look at the vette,
    almost everyone that came out or was going in stopped and looked at the truck .

just my 2 cents on different kinds of Cars & trucks,
    We all like different shit !

Sid
    Attached Images Attached Images

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi Bob and welcome. good to have you here. cool ride.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3460
    Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast