Subject: 57-56-55 CHEVY LISTF
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 06:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: "BOB,FORD" <BOB_FORD@sbcglobal.net>THIS IS THE 57-56-55 CHEVY LIST MAY 8, 2004IF THIS E-MAIL HAS AN ATTACHMENT, IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS E-MAIL.THIS LIST IS DESIGNED AS A MEANS FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE 1955, 1956,AND 1957 CHEVROLETS TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER AND HAVE ALITTLE FUN IN THE PROCESS. ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME.TO POST SOMETHING ON THIS LIST PLEASE E-MAIL YOUR POST TOBOB_FORD@SBCGLOBAL.NETTHIS 57-56-55 CHEVY LIST IS NOT SENT OUT ON ANY SET SCHEDULE SO IF YOUWANT TO POST SOMETHING THAT CONTAINS A DATE, PLEASE SEND IT IN EARLYSO I CAN GET IT OUT TO THE LIST MEMBERS BEFORE THE DATE OF THE EVENT.PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR CITY AND STATE WITH YOUR POSTS. IF YOU AREPOSTING SOMETHING FOR SALE PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE1. YOUR PHONE NUMBER2 THE PRICE3. WHEN YOU WILL BE AT YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND YOUR TIME ZONE.TAKE AS MUCH SPACE AS YOU WANT AND FULLY DESCRIBE WHAT YOU HAVEFOR SALE OR WANT TO BUY.YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT THIS LIST ARE WELCOME.IF YOU WANT TO SEND ME E-MAIL THAT YOU DO NOT WANT ON THE LISTPLEASE PUT "PRIVATE NOT FOR THE LIST' AS THE SUBJECT.THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS LIST ARE THE MEMBERS OPINIONS AND NOTNECESSARILY MINE. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO EDIT OUT ANY MATERIAL NOTAPPROPRIATE FOR THIS LIST.PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME AS THE LAST THING ON YOUR E-MAIL.IF YOU BUY SOMETHING FROM A LIST MEMBER, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I HAVENO WAY OF KNOWING THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT OR THE HONESTY OF THESELLER. BUYER BEWARE.BECAUSE OF THE DANGER OF A VIRUS, PLEASE DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTSWITH YOUR E-MAIL. E-MAIL WITH ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE READ.THANKSBOB FORDEDITOR________________________________________ ______________________________From:"Paulie Cananoli" <coolnotes@hotmail.com>Hello Bob and everyone else out there,I'd like to put rear discs on my 57, it has a stock setup now. Does anyoneknow of a simple junk yard swap I can bolt on to my current axel?Thanks,Paul------------------------------------From:JBCarRstr@aol.comBob,Have the original engine from my '57 Chevy and need tomake room for other projects. This is a 283 complete block,it's bored .040, I have never run it, will need to be gonethrough/ rebuild. I will give it to someone who can come pickit up and use it. Have other '57 parts also, probably the sameparts that everyone else has that came off of their projectswhen doing upgrades, but, contact me, you never know. I reallylove the list, Bob, I hope you do live forever so we can allcontinue enjoying it. Thanks. Contact me @ jbcarrstr@aol.comor call (909) 823-1986 Jim after 6 pm or weekends, leave amessage I'll get back to you. I am in Fontana, CA.-------------------------------From:"Moe Jafari" <MJafari@allianceimaging.com>To:"BOB FORD" <bob_ford@sbcglobal.net>Dear Bob,I am in a need of four body mount bolt and washer & bodymount rubber cushion and spacer for a '56 two-door sedan. I donot want to buy complete kits, since I only need four of them(in excellent condition). Any help from all list members isgreatly appreciated.Please contact me at (800) 544-3215 extension 3444, or emailme at mjafari@allianceimaging.com.Sincerely,Moe------------------------From:"Jeff Wilson" <jwilson@unctv.org>Hey all- is there any particuar trick or technique to easily removethe back windows from a 57 4-door sedan?CJ Wilson---------------------------From:TA96SSDCM@aol.comHi Bob and Group.I am in need of a 55 powerglide with a date code of late G orearly H 55. Must be a re-buildable core or better.ThanksToby-----------------------------------From:RWFLURY@aol.comHi Bob:A few years ago on "Tool-time", the TV show, Tim Taylor wasrunning a crane on a construction site. He had a big I-beamand accidentally dropped it on his Nomad right in the centerof it. I got sick. Someone said that it was a mockup of aNomad. It sure looked real to me. Does anyone know if it wasa real Nomad?ThanksDick with the Cameo-----------------------------From:"Bill Ricklef" <bricklef@earthlink.net>Hi to all list members and especially you Bob. I have aquestion, the subject came up on the list some time ago and Iam just now getting around to doing it. Someone on the listsaid that a Fram CA-151 air filter will fit on the stock 2834-bbl air cleaner (the old oil bath unit). The problem: Ican't find one anywhere, here in So. Calif. Autozone says thefilter is "unavailable" and Kragen doensn't have one either.Does anyone in the area know who does stock the CA-151 FRAM?I'd sure like to get the stock air cleaner back on theotherwise all stock '57 Belair. Thanks Bill Ricklefbricklef@earthlink.net-------...nGTs@aol.comMy Dad has a '57 Chevy 4-door sedan, 210 model. His healthis suffering due to Alzheimer's, he won't be able to doanything with his old '57 at this point. I was thinking ofselling the car for him, or parting it out, whichever mademore sense. Not up for sale yet, but will be considering it inthe not-so-distance future. What I was wondering is what a 283Power Pak motor is bringing these days? The car itself hasrust, sat outside too long before we got a small garagecleaned out and it pushed inside. Not terminal, but doors,fenders, inside trunk lip, all need attention. I was thinkingthe motor may be more valuable than the car itselt, don'tknow. Has 73k on it, the trans was rebuilt about 15 years ago,the car never driven at all since. Gas tank is full of rustnow. Will need TLC and lots of it.So, anyway, back to the engine. Any idea what a completeP/S, P/B engine would be worth on the market? Just trying toget some idea of value. Thanks for any help.Jerry CasperWoodbridge, VA----------------------------------------------From:GremlinGTs@aol.comI have a 150 series steering wheel out of a '57 chevy,minus the horn button in the center, just the wheel. I'mthinking of selling it either on Ebay, or to someone on thislist who may be interested. Might be worth something to aperson wanting to do a FI car. Wheel has the "usual" cracksalong the hub/spoke area, but small, and overall prettydecent. None in the rim itself. So if anyone has any interest,and can tell me what a good price for a used steering wheelfor a 150 model might bring, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,Jerry CasperWoodbridge, VA-----------------------------------------From:"Rick Nix" <ricknix@ricknix.com>Hi Bob,Once again, thanks for the great emails. My opinion is it isthe headset. The laptop does not require amplified speakers.I own three headsets. One is super quiet and the only reason Ihaven't pitched it is it has a mute button and I work fromhome often and it allows me to cut out the microphone. Thelaptop should have a normal 2.5 mm jack on it. If you areusing a "mono" plug headset then it will indeed effectivelyshort it out and you'd not get stereo sound. I'd go toWal-Mart and pick up a new stereo headset - look for the rightsize plug and buy it in the stereo section, not the computersection as you'll find a better quality and selection. Hopethat helps.RickP.S. I work for HP and I'm a senior engineer with a arm-lengthlist of certifications, so feel free to email me your computerquestions.Editor’s note. Thanks for the kind offer Rick. I got the problem solved. I
will explain at the end of this list.-----------------------------------------From:"D P" <daveinreno@webtv.net>hi bob, five clams in the mail to you for a great service that youprovide !! bob i have two sets of 57 front fenders, a 57 hood and a decklid, also a front bumper, i'm in okla, if interested e-mail me atdaveinreno@webtv.net----------------------------------------------From:"Rock, Joseph, Law Library" <joseph.rock@acgov.org>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"I have always heard that the best motor for a car is "Old Iron". That is ifyou want the best motor, you will get an old motor and have it rebuilt. I amtold that old iron has all of the stress relieved and will not warp. Anyoneknow if that is true or just an urban myth."<<<<<<<<<<<<<If you think about this, all "old iron" was "new iron" to begin with. So,if "new iron" had stress and warping problems, there would be no "old iron".I would have to put this in the urban myth category. The caliber of a usedengine depends on its history, even a prime condition "old iron" enginebuilt with the best parts will not survive poor maintenance or ignoringsomething like signs of overheating (like an idiot light) !!Sincerely, Joseph Rock---------------------------------From:MuzikBiz01@aol.comHowdy, Bob,....and greetings once again from "Music City, USA," --Nashville, Tennessee!It's getting to be that time of the year again. Folks aredusting off (and waxing) their classics for the upcoming showseason and 'cruise-ins.' The Backyard Burger "Cruise-In"started its weekly Saturday afternoon run in Franklin, TN thispast April 17. Robbie does a great job of organizing eachSaturday's show--and Bob, the deejay, spins the classic oldies'live' on his "Varsity Drive-In Show."I was negligent last summer ('03) and only entered two carshow competitions, taking a "First Place" in one and a "ThirdPlace" in another. Those wimpy 'trailer queens' slam me everytime:)However, in fairness to the hobby and to my great '55 Bel Air,"Surfer Girl," I've once again decided to put her up for sale.You won't find a better 'driver' in the mid-South. Only 39,400actual miles!! Restored to near 'mint' condition inside andout. A six-cylinder, three on the tree, Bel Air 2DHT. GypsyRed and Shoreline Beige. Great rubber, interior, exterior,re-chromed front and rear bumpers. All emblems, stainless, arecorrect and near perfect.Nearly $30,000 invested. Offering it for $25,000 'cash anddrive away' or $25,750 delivered anywhere in the lower 48.Will offer one of my rare Beach Boys 'original' hand bills, ora 'signed' Jan & Dean handbill, to the lucky buyer.Contact me for photos directly, or visit my studio web site atwww.treasureislenashville.com, go the "gallery" section, andhit the 'classic cars' icon. Enjoy the ride!!Fred VailTreasure Isle Recorders, Inc.Nashville, TN615.297.0700 (studio) or 335.1587 (cell)---------------------From:"Dale D." <canyonrose@yahoo.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Anyone with electronics knowledge that can help me with aproblem? I have a lap top computer with a DVD drive. When Iplay a DVD, the sound volume is fine. When I plug in headphones in the laptop the sound is very weak. Is there abattery amplifier that I can use with the head phones or isthere some other solution."<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bob, I'm not that into this "ratzen-fratzen" computer (when Ihave a problem, I always hollar for #1 son). But I spent mostof my life in music and sound and I do know that you can get abattery-powered headphone amp (commonly used for guitars) atyour local music store fairly reasonably. Take your laptopwith you and they will set you up with the adapter you willneed to get from the output of the computer to the input ofthe amp. If they can't do it, let me know and I'll take careof it. Best wishes, -Delivery Dale------------------------From:"mr55chev" <mr55chev@comcast.net>Bob - I have a NOS Left Front 1955 Fender - I would like toput it on EBay or some such and sell it. Question is, how canI ship it? I took it by the UPS store, and the man there saidhe would have to custom build a box ($90.00 or so) and itwould only go truck freight - $-4-500.00 depending on where toin the USA. I don't think that is right, one friend told mehe sold a seat cushion and used a refrigerator box and shippedit for a small pertentage of that. I also see a FedExcommercial where they use a fork lift to delver a crate "righton top of my desk". Any suggestions from anyone on the list?Or, any offers FOB Salt Lake City, Utah?Sandy PiercePoliticians and diapers should be changed often...and for the same reason!Editor’s note. Try FEDEX GROUND. I have found their rates cheaper than UPS
and they give better service.BOB------------------------------------From:"Lynn Dillingham" <lynn@NAMS.net>Bob,Your headset problem sounds like it may be an impedancemismatch between the output of the computer and input to theheadset. If there is an impedance mismatch you can buy animpedance matcher at Radio Shack.Lynn-----------------------------------From:"Jeff Wilson" <jwilson@unctv.org>Hi Bob- I hope this doesn't sound too elementary, but tryright-clicking on the the little speaker Icon on your taskbar.A slider-control window should open up.Click and drag the slider to it's wide-open position.That might turn up your headphone volume (it mightactually turn it up TOO much, but once you've got theknack you can adjust to taste).CJ "I hate computers" Wilson--------------------------------From:Bill DavisBobI can’t thank you enough for the tape you sent me you called "USA 1940 to
1945". It really made me appreciate what people like my parents sacrificed
for us. It makes me proud to be an American. I showed the tape to my mother
and father who were both adults during World War II. My dad was in the Army
and my mother delivered planes from the manufacturer to Army Air bases. It
brought back so many memories for them that I got my camcorder out and
recorded what they told me. Did you say there is a machine that will convert
VCR tape to a DVD. If there is can someone tell me about it. I want to keep
this interview with my parents forever. I also want to put the "USA 1940 to
1945" on a DVD so it will not wear out.I was so impressed with that tape that I went to the local school board
meeting and asked them to let me show it to the students in High School
History. They agreed and every student say it. Almost every student had
tears in their eyes after they viewing the tape. They all came away with a
much better appreciation of the hardships their grandparents went through so
they could have the freedoms they enjoy now.As a side note, after I recorded my parents talking to me about their
experiences during World War II, I made another recording of them telling me
about their life. I am 50+ years old and they told me information that I did
not know and the information would have died with them if I had not recorded
it. I now have a project of interviewing and recording every member of our
family. It will be priceless history. I encourage every one to do the same.
In years to come, you will be glad you did. Please believe me.BILL DAVISEditor’s note. Bill, send me your address and I will send you a DVD of that
tape. It will be a DVD+R. I am not an expert in this subject but I
understand most new DVD players can play DVD+R. Some older ones can not. I
hope someone on this list can tell me about DVD+R, DVD-R, and just plain
DVD. I don’t think there is standard for DVD recorders/players yet. Somewhat
like the old days of VHS and BETA. I still have my BETA vcr player. It is
probably only good for a door stop. I do know that DVD recorder prices are
coming down. I hope some one that knows about dvd recorders will let me know
if I have given out bad information here.I have not seen a machine that will copy a VCR tape to a DVD recorder. I
just play my tapes on a VCR and the video/audio output of the tape player is
input to the DVD recorder.BOB------------------------------------------From: EditorThanks everyone for the help with my laptop and headphone. As you might
guess, it was my lack of knowledge that caused the problem. The laptop, an
IBM Thinkpad, has Windows 98 as it’s operating system. One of the options
from the control panel that you can set is mono or stereo headphones. The
default was mono. I was using stereo headphones. When I set the options to
stereo the phones worked fine.I would like to second what Bill Davis said above. Tape record your children
AND your parents NOW while they have a clear mind. I have done this for many
years. Some of the people I have taped are no longer with us and these tapes
are my most valuable possessions.BOB------------------------------------------------------------------------------------end of 57-56-55 CHEVY LISTBOB FORD18091 MARK CIRCLEVILLA PARK, CALIFORNIA 92861-2648BOB_FORD@SBCGLOBAL.NETVOICE 714-637-8877FAX 714-637-2955Editor of the 57-56-55 CHEVY LIST and TURBOGLIDE REGISTRYI plan to live forever, so far so good