Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Mounted Shears

Member #:2017

Bench Mounted Shears

Made a new tool Tuesday night, this is inspired by the bench mount shear that you saw at our last metal shaping class at the shop, made by Charlie Cerutti. This mimics the Beverly Shear on a much smaller scale, and for those who have arthritis issues and find difficulty in the squeezing process of using hand snips, this could prove invaluable.

This was made using two (right and left hand cut) pair of 90* Midwest shears. First step is to remove handle covers, a utility knife makes short work of it.. Then the handle toward the jaws is trimmed off, as shown in the picture. A one inch diameter tube is used as the pull handle, welded onto the remaining handle of the shears. 5/8 round stick is used for the cross piece and upright supports, and an angle provides the base for clamping (for portability) or screwing to the front edge of your workbench.

Here shown fully assembled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdaX4GJ-PHI

.....and here in operation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oCHf_lm9M

The intent here is not to increase capacity by adding more leverage, I would still recommend adhering to manufacturer's recommendations. This is merely another tool that may make the job easier..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Nice! Didn't make much sense in the posted pics but when I saw the rest of it, and in action, looks nice. If the weld was the limiting factor, it could cut 1/4" plate!
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    neat, thanks for sharing Robert.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:1653
    Cool!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Is this a substitute for a Beverly shear or a capability that a Beverly shear can't do?

I have a Harbor Freight knockoff of a Beverly shear and it works quite well for my needs.

Member #:2017
    One of the guys who has been to all three of our metalshaping classes came up with a single shear version of this. He has arthritis in his hands and finds the squeezing motion painful at times, so he came up with the concept. He also has a Beverly (a couple of them) but was toying with this idea for a cost effective solution. When I tried his during our last class, I found that much like a Beverly, a one-direction cut sometimes has limitations if cutting something with a curve. Having both the left and right hand cuts takes care of that issue. Granted, it won't have the capacity of a Beverly, but works well for just sheet metal, especially for those on a budget.
    Last edited by MP&C; 03-29-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3611
    going to make me one of those set ups,I have small hands and on long cuts they cramp , thank you for sharing Robert

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    For long cuts, there's always an air shear. If I have to make more than a 2" long cut on sheet metal, I break out the air shear, cut within a 1/4" of the cut line, and then trim with regular snips. Of if the cut doesn't have to be precise, just run the shear along the line.
    Last edited by Bitchin'57; 03-31-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:115
    I cut all my sheetmetal with my plasma cutter, then sand the edges. I was going to buy a stomp shear and decided it wasn't worth it for me. I don't even use my aviation shears. If you don't have any other way to make the cuts this looks like a useful tool.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    When you compare a "stomp shear" to this setup, you're comparing apples to oranges. This shear, handheld or modified for the bench, is really for cutting shapes not straight lines. Same with a Beverly shear. The "stomp shear" is for straight edges.

Also it will only cut thin sheet metal.

If you use this to cut a straight edge, you'd need to sand or file it just like with your plasma cutter.

There's a hundred ways to do this stuff. Most of us, except Robert, don't invest in multiple ways unless you're going to use it fairly often, which he does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast