Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Re-Location Project

Member #:2442

Battery Re-Location Project

I decided a while ago I wanted to re-locate my battery to the trunk to clean up the engine compartment as well as help with weight distribution. Since I don't have a spare tire anymore with the C4 chassis conversion I figured the spare tire well would be as good a location as any so I researched battery sizes to see if there was a standard size that would fit in there. I found a few that would work but not any that would have enough cca amps without spending a small fortune on a lithium battery. I also wanted a battery that was available in an AGM type so venting would not be an issue. So what I decided to use that was close to fitting and would be easy to get anywhere in an AGM type is a group 48 size. My 2007 Sierra used this size as well as our 2009 Cadillac CTS.
    So I made up a cardboard mock up of a group 48 size battery to see how it would fit knowing the spare tire well would need to be modified.

As you can tell it sits up way to high as is.
    So I decided to go for it and remove the spare tire well to widen it out to fit the battery.

So after drill out about 40 spot welds I got it out to make it easier to work on.

A couple of temporary braces tacked on and sliced down the middle with pie cuts at the ends to widen it out enough to fit the battery.

Center filler piece #1 fitted up and tacked in place. Throughout the process I screwed the spare tire well back in place to make sure it would still fit in the end.

Back out and tacked up a little better.

Back in place to check how the battery fits. Should work good now.

Another filler strip fit up ready to tack in. The Gorilla tape works great to hold odd shaped things in place when a conventional clamp won't work.

Another view.

All tacked up ready for lots more welding and grinding.
    Next up will be to make the battery tray for the tire well.
    Brian

The next step was to make up a battery tray to fit in the modified spare tire well. To make sure the battery would fit, but not be any bigger than it needed to be I picked up the battery I will be using. I got it from Batteries Plus for $160. with the 15% off promotion they were running at the time. It is a group 48 size Duracell AGM with a 4 year free replacement warranty.

Bottom piece cut out of 18 guage sheet.

Sides bent up and 2 corners welded up. The bends aren't real sharp, I just have a cheapie bending brake so i could sure use a better one.

Finished tray bottom. Hard to tell in the pictures but I rounded over the top edges to give a better transition to the 4 filler pieces to come later.

battery in the tray in the spare tire well. The top of the battery is right at the top of the spare tire well so the eventual cover will be made with a bump up and then lined with rubber or something else non conductive to prevent anything shorting out on the battery posts. The battery post do sit about an 1/8" below the top of the battery so there should be no issues with that. I see a bead roller in my future when I get to the point of making the cover.

End pieces made up an tacked in place. I have a couple sheet metal screws in each end to hold things in place while fitting everything up. I made these by making paper patterns, cutting blocks of wood to that shape then cutting the metal to size and clamping the sheet metal between the blocks of wood and bending them to shape. I thought I had pictures of this but I guess not. I also added a flange to the center opening of the tray to strengthen it. I used a vice grip style flanging pliers for that which kind of works ok for something that will rarely bee seen.

Paper patterns of the side pieces then transferred to a 3/4" board to make a bending form by cutting on the line with a jig saw.

Strip of 18 gauge cut to size and clamped between the wood blocks.

Hammered over to from a flange that will fit the shape of the spare tire well.

Ready to trim to size and fit up to the tray bottom.

One side tacked in place ffitting up the other side.

Tacked up ready for finish welding and grinding.

After lots of welding and grinding.

Back side view of the tray.

Finished tray in the spare tire well. Seems to fit pretty well.
    Still need to drill drain holes and holes to add nuts to the end flanges for some battery hold down brackets, grind out the welds a little better in the spare tire well, get some primer on everything, then drill holes in the tray flange to spot weld it into the spare tire well.
    So that's where I am at on the project right now.

Member #:115
    Nice work!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks, It has turned into what seems to be a never ending project though. Luckily I left the battery in the firewall location until It's a lot closer to being done so I can still drive the car!!!

Member #:3217
    A VERY nice piece of work, Custer! (as I would expect from you)..

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    A VERY nice piece of work, Custer! (as I would expect from you)..
    Thanks Bama

Member #:2017
    Well done!
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3
    Looks really Good ,

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out so far.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It has turned into what seems to be a never ending project though.
    When you first think about it, the project seems really simple. But making each piece and making them all fit is a lot more work than meets the eye. Good work.

I know exactly what you mean as I'm making an aluminum coolant recovery tank to fit in a certain space. It's never ending too, but I'm closing in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast