Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Re-Location Project

Member #:1608
    Nice work and write up!

Member #:530
    I learned something about how to form complex bends/shapes using plywood and clamping as a metal shaping technique. Thanks for posting the how-to pics.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Wow, I just don't have the ambition for a project like that. If I did it, it would be an ugly looking square box! I too like the wooden sheet metal press. Neat trick indeed.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:2442

It's been a while since I worked on may battery re-location project but here is where it was at before we headed out to St. Paul for Back to the 50's at the end of June.

Battery set in the tray to check the fit. I welded in nuts to the back side on the ends for the hold down brackets.

I made these from 1/8" aluminum that will bolt to the tray and hold the battery in by the tabs on the bottom of the battery.

Cardboard patterns for the bulk head to mount the cut off switch.

Once the pattern fit pretty close I cut blocks from particle board to make the bulkhead from 18 guage sheet metal. Hard to see but I scribed the shape onto a piece of 18 gauge then added a 1/2" of so for the flanges.

Clamped up between the blocks ready to start hammering.

Formed to shape. Will still need some tweaking to make it fit just right.

That was as far as I got before going out to St. Paul for Back to the 50's so I got all the welds ground out better and put a quick paint job on the outside to screw it back in the trunk for the trip so I wouldn't lose anything in the hole in the trunk.
    Have not done anything on it since then. Hopefully I will get some time to work on it again soon!!
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Amazing job, envious that a lot of you guys are able to do things like that. Great idea as well.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

Member #:3653
    OMG> What a ton of work. Great job. But for me I'd never take on such a project. Not when the battery can fit behind the seat so well. When tri five owners deck the trunk with mdf and customize it they just leave a door there or allow the entire piece to pop out so they can access amps, batteries, etc.. But I think as far as originality you take the prize. I've not seen one done this way, ever. Even I thought of it and then thought of the work involved and quickly decided to put my battery holder behind the seat. I've seen dents in these tire holders a plenty. As long as you don't take it off road you will be fine I think. Great metal working. Be sure to add yourself a cut off while you're at it.

Registered Member

Member #:3653
    Don't be that envious. It's WORK to bend metal and spot weld everything one trigger pull at a time! Mig welder. I can do it, but too much work. Especially when the battery fits right behind the seat with several inches to spare. One small battery holder so you can clamp it down. I'm going to use my spare tire holder for a smaller tire that will fit. I have triple AAA but you never know where you will be and how long you will have to wait for them. They don't carry spare tires I don't think. But I guess they could plug one and fill it up with air in a pinch.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You are indeed a newbie expert. Why can't you accept what was presented as some nice work? Post some photos of what you've done if it's as good or better than Custer55's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbieexpert View Post
    OMG> What a ton of work. Great job. But for me I'd never take on such a project. Not when the battery can fit behind the seat so well. When tri five owners deck the trunk with mdf and customize it they just leave a door there or allow the entire piece to pop out so they can access amps, batteries, etc.. But I think as far as originality you take the prize. I've not seen one done this way, ever. Even I thought of it and then thought of the work involved and quickly decided to put my battery holder behind the seat. I've seen dents in these tire holders a plenty. As long as you don't take it off road you will be fine I think. Great metal working. Be sure to add yourself a cut off while you're at it.
    i don't think I will ever be going off road with this car. At least not on purpose. Since i did the C4 conversion and have different front and rear size tires a spare tire is not a good option anymore either. I just keep a couple cans of fix a flat and some tire plugs in the trunk. I will have a cut off switch by the battery, that is what the bulkhead I am working on now is for. You are correct that it is a lot of work, more than i thought is would be but everything usually is when it comes to making custom parts. One of the great things about the internet is the ability to learn from others and apply it to your own projects. I learn a lot from what others do and from my own mistakes.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    You are indeed a newbie expert. Why can't you accept what was presented as some nice work? Post some photos of what you've done if it's as good or better than Custer55's stuff.
    Thanks Rick!
    I will be needing some help from you in the next few years as I recently picked up an LT1 engine and trans from a 95 Firebird that I plan to swap in sometime in the next few years.
    I need to save some money and parts before I start the swap so it probably won't happen until the winter of 2019 / 2020.
    Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast