Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: At the track video

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What's your cam duration @.050" lift, and what stall do you have now?

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    The current one is supposedly around 2300-2500.
    Duration at .050 is 230 and 230.
    Now I'm already wishing I had bought a bigger cam, but I might need to have the pistons fly cut. I don't think I have much room there.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

This is the converter that is in it. Bought in 1994 ($179) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-240900
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

A 3000 rpm stall speed converter should pick you up a bunch. Downside is it will slip at highway speed, kill a little gas mileage, and you'll need a big cooler if you don't already have one.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Actually your car looks pretty good on the launch. There is a short lull in acceleration after the car initially moves, but the video is taken from so far away that I can't tell whether it's a bog or spinning the tires. You probably know better than we do.

As far as a burnout routine or whether street tire cars are screwing up the starting line, there are many variables. The street tire guys are probably not screwing up the track unless they are visibly dragging up debris or water. Burnouts are over rated. Basically you need the tires to be clean.
    Thank you Rick, I have always said they are for show and people who have no respect for parts or equipment. You can prove this on a track with 60 foot timers.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Thank you Rick, I have always said they are for show and people who have no respect for parts or equipment. You can prove this on a track with 60 foot timers.
    Really? I suppose I'll have to try it without one. What about at a track like I was at without good prep?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Burning slicks to the cords will not help on an un prepped track.

Registered Member

Again, the tires need to be clean. So don't track water or dirt up to the starting line. Best way to do that if you do a burnout is to let the car roll out of the water on its own (don't stop the burnout and then drive out with the tires wet). If you see that someone else did that, do what you can to avoid their mess. Sometimes it's best to go around the water, although sometimes it's unavoidable.

Registered Member

Not saying anyone is wrong, it's just that everyone I have ever seen drag race with slicks spins them till they are smoking. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough at the quiet car?

On a separate note, I was told that if I can go from idle to WOT without a problem, it will sort of act like a higher stall converter compared to revving it a bit with the brakes on. Does that make any sense? Would that also help the car hook?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Not saying anyone is wrong, it's just that everyone I have ever seen drag race with slicks spins them till they are smoking. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough at the quiet car?

On a separate note, I was told that if I can go from idle to WOT without a problem, it will sort of act like a higher stall converter compared to revving it a bit with the brakes on. Does that make any sense? Would that also help the car hook?
    You have obviously never seen me at the track. A lot of monkey see monkey do at the track and John Force wannabes.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast