Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlight Upgrade Question

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Wow some of you guys are really stuck in the past. I find it hard to believe that some guys still uses a carburetor that's been out-dated for over 30 years, still run white-lettered tires, think that anything with electronic controls is "too complicated", hack the fenders of their cars to make the tires "fit", and don't really want to see the road at night.

Next we'll be hearing about how drum brakes "feel so much better" than disc brakes and how much "simpler" a single piston master cylinder is. Or maybe how manual steering just brings back the nostalgia of driving, and how a stock suspension allows the car to roll making it a much more "enjoyable" ride. I'm sure some of them would rather crank their windows down because it takes them back to their childhood.

Stock incandescent headlights just plain suck as far as light output. It would be a lot easier, and better imo, to install 7" LEDs than to add relays to run inferior lights. And the LEDs last a lot longer and give much better light quality. Modern technology is so much better than the crap from 60 years ago and most guys have moved into the 21st century. But if that's what you like, and it's legal, by all means do it. Nobody cares.
    Just curious. How many cars do you own, or have driven with LED headlights?

Member #:3217
    Wow some of you guys are really stuck in the past. I find it hard to believe that some guys still uses a carburetor that's been out-dated for over 30 years, still run white-lettered tires, think that anything with electronic controls is "too complicated", hack the fenders of their cars to make the tires "fit", and don't really want to see the road at night.

Next we'll be hearing about how drum brakes "feel so much better" than disc brakes and how much "simpler" a single piston master cylinder is. Or maybe how manual steering just brings back the nostalgia of driving, and how a stock suspension allows the car to roll making it a much more "enjoyable" ride. I'm sure some of them would rather crank their windows down because it takes them back to their childhood.

Stock incandescent headlights just plain suck as far as light output. It would be a lot easier, and better imo, to install 7" LEDs than to add relays to run inferior lights. And the LEDs last a lot longer and give much better light quality. Modern technology is so much better than the crap from 60 years ago and most guys have moved into the 21st century. But if that's what you like, and it's legal, by all means do it. Nobody cares.

Try it... you'll LIKE it..

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Some people have no interest in nostalgia, some do.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have a buddy that Hotrod mag did a 4 page article on was built with wildwood disk upfront and Impala 11 inch drums in rear,
    I have cheap conversion (I believe hand made) disc brake adapters and Impalla 11" on the rear also (an Impalla rear). I had to put smaller wheel cylinders in the rear to keep them from locking up too early. Yes I could have used a separate proportioning valve, but didn't want the extra parts.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1723
    One thing I found that I don't like about the Hella headlights is that they're flat-faced. I think a tri5 should have "domed" bulbs like the original ones. So I'll be looking for a pair of halo bulbs which I think are cool (look at all the new cars) but they have to have a domed face, have to be glass (not plastic) construction, and accept an H4 bulb or be full LEDs. I don't want a sealed-beam with LED halos.

Here's s ton of choices:

https://www.octanelighting.com/produ...s/7-headlights
    FWIW, and maybe not much, I saw an oncoming new VW Bug yesterday, and it had halos that extended only about a third of the way around the light. Maybe that would be preferable, rather than extending all the way around the light.

besides people thinking halo bulbs are 'cute' or 'cool'... WHAT purpose/function does the Halo do?? or is it just a 'distraction' to other drivers...??

Banned

Member #:2775
    ^^^ I agree! Fart can exhausts, giant spoilers, undercar LED's, etc. used to be cute, and cool too. I've done plenty of tasteless mods myself going back to the 70's. And I still do, according to my kids, that drive the latest cars out there.
    Even they would think LED halo headlights on my 55 would be a train wreck. The LED's in my house and shop make perfect sense though, but never on an old car even trying to be like a new one.
    One of my favorite car movies was American Graffiti, and it would destroy the movie if all of the old classic cars were cruising around with LED halo's.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-24-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Saw an ad today on the other site that sells led headlights with either stock looking lenses or Hella type lenses. Unfortunately I didn't post the link then and I can't find their ad back (rotating banner ad), does not show up on google either or the other site's sponsor list. Will post it if I see it again. Cost was a bit over $100 per light, 24w power consumption. Only one version was stock yellow light (more expensive), most were either white (5000 Kelvin) or blue (7000 Kelvin). Headlight buckets would require the same mods as 55w halogen lights.

I love the 5000 Kelvin for shop lights. 7000 Kelvin I don't like in a shop light. Either one kind of drive me crazy when meeting cars with them in traffic.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Thanks for the ideas! I may retrofit LEDs for the brighter light so long as they have no 'halo' lights and don't detract from the appearance of my '57. Still researching that.

Laszlo...... As for carburettors...... Yes, I will run 3 Webers on the '66 292 inline 6 I'm building and swapping into the '57. No fuel injection.

And no disc brakes. I am adapting larger drum brakes from a '59 - '64 Chevy and will use cryogenically treated drums and ceramic shoes. Will also add power brakes. Possibly one of your hydro-boost setups.

Jury is still out on power steering. Have made some modifications to steering gear in the past that makes steering more positive (less slop) and easier to steer, though I've never had a '55 - '57 Chevy with power steering. Not sure I need it. But you can rest assured the car will handle well, as I will add stiffer springing, firmer shocks and some serious anti-sway bars front and rear just as I have done with all these cars I've built since 1970.

No white letter tires. Most likely blackwall radials on 1990s 9C1 cop car wheels. Just because I like them. If it were all about appearance, I'd go for a set of redline tires like my '69 SS396 Nova came with. But I doubt they are available as radials in the size and speed rating I am looking for.

A/C? Absolutely. Its been over 100 degrees here for weeks now and this car will be a driver. So yes, I will definitely retrofit an A/C system.

Sorry to have been away from the forum a few days. I may be posting less often for a while. Will spare you the details, but went to see the doctor today and he set me up for surgery Friday. Hoping all goes well. Recovery will take some time. No, its not the back injury. Still need to deal with that. Will post again when I can.

Best regards to all,

Harry

Harry,

Good luck on a successful surgery for you tomorrow! I want to see your car after all those mods..

Gary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast