Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad-C4-LS1 called "Ozzy"

Banned

Member #:2775
    So how does your car drive and handle with the C4 suspension? I love driving mine, and it's like driving a really big Corvette, but much more fun looking like a 67-year-old car that drives better than many new cars.

Member #:530
    Newsflash... I ain't done squat to my Nomad in months now. Many other committments just keep getting in the way.
    But it's drivable and once it stops raining here in California, I'll be back out driving it again.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    What remains to be done on your nomad, Paul?

-fabricating all the interior sheet metal for the rear seat, then complete upholstery.
    -minor tweaks...stuff like dealing with a whistle (at speed) from the crappy stock design of the fresh air vent seals. Considering designing a more modern "blend door" style vent that seals up completely with 80 mpg wind blowing against it.
    -final wiring cleanup
    -figuring out why (with anything over 3/4 tank of fuel) it will leak out the filler cap on hard right hand cornering. I put on of those aftermarket flapper valve gizmos in the filler tube, but it still leaks out. I'm considering pulling the filler neck and welding in a more modern style filler spout with a spring loaded flap and a screw in cap. Same as we have on modern cars.
    - body removal, then painting the frame, polishing all the C4 aluminum suspension pieces, reassembly, etc.
    - get all the bodywork and paint done, color sand, buff, etc.
    -final reassembly
    -more Madmooks bling to the back end

The big $ stuff still left to do.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 01-16-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    There’s still a little left to do, lol. As you know, doing a little at a time gets it done. Good you can enjoy it some now.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    -fabricating all the interior sheet metal for the rear seat, then complete upholstery.
    -minor tweaks...stuff like dealing with a whistle (at speed) from the crappy stock design of the fresh air vent seals. Considering designing a more modern "blend door" style vent that seals up completely with 80 mpg wind blowing against it.
    -final wiring cleanup
    -figuring out why (with anything over 3/4 tank of fuel) it will leak out the filler cap on hard right hand cornering. I put on of those aftermarket flapper valve gizmos in the filler tube, but it still leaks out. I'm considering pulling the filler neck and welding in a more modern style filler spout with a spring loaded flap and a screw in cap. Same as we have on modern cars.
    - body removal, then painting the frame, polishing all the C4 aluminum suspension pieces, reassembly, etc.
    - get all the bodywork and paint done, color sand, buff, etc.
    -final reassembly
    -more Madmooks bling to the back end

The big $ stuff still left to do.
    What gas tank are you using? Have you considered re-designing the filler neck altogether to stop the fuel from coming out? I don't recall anyone complaining about this happening with a stock tank and filler neck, so maybe your tank design is a problem. Can you put some sort of flapper valve down at the tank to keep the fuel out of the filler neck?

I envy the fact that you got to drive your car long ago, but I don't envy the fact that you have to tear it down and start over with assembly. At least the car is painted so you should be able to take the body off pretty much intact and finish the frame. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little bigger for me.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Its a stock sedan style Tanks Inc 16 gallon tank, set up for an intank pump.
    There is already an aftermarket flapper in the fill tube.
    the vent hose comes out of the tank separate from the filler hose, and it connects to the filler tube "up high" just behind the cap. I suspect fuel may be coming up thru that overflow hose.
    the stock cap isn't exactly an air (or fuel) tight sealed fit. It does allow for venting.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 01-18-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Its a stock sedan style Tanks Inc 16 gallon tank, set up for an intank pump.
    There is already an aftermarket flapper in the fill tube.
    the vent hose comes out of the tank separate from the filler hose, and it connects to the filler tube "up high" just behind the cap. I suspect fuel may be coming up thru that overflow hose.
    the stock cap isn't exactly an air (or fuel) tight sealed fit. It does allow for venting.
    Paul, I'm pretty sure that all 57 hardtops and sedans use the same tank and filler tube. I have never heard of anyone having the overflow issues you're having, have you? How is yours different than the stock sedan configuration besides the in-tank pump?

I put a 57-style vent tube on mine and I hope I don't have issues with it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Part of the problem that I have had is fuel splashing out of the overflow vent when cornering hard right, which these C4 cars can do. I have a Rick's baffled 22-gallon tank with a longer vent hose curled into a loop at the highest point in the quarter panel now with a small fuel filter attached to the end of the hose and it is working great now. I have a sealed cap and use a separate vent right off the tank.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-23-2023 at 03:49 PM.

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

Here's a few pics of the interior sheet metal work for the underdash valance and center console. I am a long way from these being done or ready to upholster, but its a start.

Im very frustrated because I don't have the right metal working equipment to make these rounded edges, so I am doing it the hard way and it's not turning out as precise as I'd like. I may back up and punt, and do them over if I find the right equipment to use.

Small steps...

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast