Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junk Repop Parts

Registered Member

Member #:3477

Junk Repop Parts

So again I order parts for my 55 Chevy and again I receive non-fitting junk. I do understand that repop is not original spec stuff. OK. But I had corvettes and the stuff nearly always fit. NCRS wouldn't allow it not to. Also my Chevelle and Camaro stuff generally fits. However when I order stuff for the 55 I nearly always have to modify it. I actually have Corvette Catalogs I sometimes use to chase hardware. I will bet I can find the clips I wanted in a Corvette Central or Paragon catalog. Of course I didn't think of that.

What do you guys think?

I think we need to create a thread or use this one to post solid repop stuff and the junk stuff.

For example the taillight hardware kit I received yesterday " Same as Original"? Must have meant same as original ACE Hardware. I already reached out to the seller. Its not worth sending back, but it is worth telling you guys on this site that the stuff requires manipulation with a die grinder to approximate the factory J-Clips that hold the tail light housings to the body. I do take full responsibility for paying less attention to the pic then the description.

Its the repop stuff thats sketchy. The custom stuff from Jegs and Summit is usually well made.

Oh and with the tariffs eventually we will pay even more for stuff that doesn't fit.

Just tired of getting stuff that is ill-fitting junk.

S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Where are you buying your ill fitting junk, what brand is it, and what kind of part? There is no universal formula for the good stuff.

I would recommend that you try East Coast Chevy for fasteners.

Registered Member

Hi Rick.

I have used Eklers, Danchuk, Classic the usual larger players. Then there are the smaller ones that use Ebay. I check feedback and cross check. This outfit had a slew of positive feedback but the stuff isn't right. Again my fault.

The Power brake set up I bought from Eklers had the traditional leaky brass porportioning valve. They sent a replacement, (aluminum now) but I decided to just forego, and get a wilwood proportioning valve and bend my own lines. So everything I didn't use went in a box. Right next to the set of Flowtech headers that almost fit

You are right, the good stuff comes from good used, and knowing what you need and hitting up the large houses at shows.

Guess I am just tired and cranky (ran out of creamer for my coffee too)

S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    When it comes to prop valves both my cars got used ones from mid to late 70s Camaro / Chevelle , as they are bulletproof.

Member #:2941
    Speaking of which...... Has anyone here located a good source for OEM quality bellhousing sidemounts ('55 - '57 manual transmission cars)? I have been searching for NOS items, but so far, no luck.

Thanks,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Registered Member

Authentic Automotive (Jalapeno, the stock power steering guy) claims to have a better version now.

Member #:3249
    I haven't had much trouble with the stuff I bought for my 56, my 66 Chevelle, or my 71 Chevy pickup. A lot of it I got from the Truck and Car Shop in Orange, CA. Much of it I got from them at the Pomona Swap meet over the years. The stuff I got from Danchuk was all good, too.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    I haven't had much trouble with the stuff I bought for my 56, my 66 Chevelle, or my 71 Chevy pickup. A lot of it I got from the Truck and Car Shop in Orange, CA. Much of it I got from them at the Pomona Swap meet over the years. The stuff I got from Danchuk was all good, too.
    LMC has doors that fit like crap on those trucks.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    LMC has doors that fit like crap on those trucks.
    When I was building my '68 SWB Chevy truck, I used to keep a box of the LMC parts I ordered that simply didn't fit. I planned on shipping it back to their CEO, but I ended up selling the truck and passing the LMC parts stigma to the next guy. He was happy about the spare parts. I changed my name and moved to a new city.

I got through to the Ebay outfit that sold me the taillight clips. The swore they were factory, until they realized they weren't. Then they blamed it on their distributor. Then they told me that I should have disregarded the item description and focused on the picture. Funny but when I received an incomplete item from a different outfit excluding items pictured, they told me I should have disregarded the picture and focused on the item description. Hmm, so many excuses so little time.

Anyway, when I finally got them to admit their item was wrong - what I simply wanted was a listing updated accurately for the next guy that hits buy it now- they resorted to name calling in their email. Really? You misrepresent an item, finally admit that its misrepresented and then call the buyer a name for pointing it out and expecting that you be truthful to your buyers. Right.

They are a power seller who will have their first negative in 7 days. Same as original only means same as original if its same as original. Which I pointed out to these clowns.

Oh and I fired my lawn service too

Scorp

Registered Member

Find a non-Ebay source that will stand behind their stuff. You should be able to return bad stuff or stuff that you're unhappy with. Even with Ebay, but it's so much easier when you deal with someone who has a phone and answers it.

I don't do it 100%, but you shouldn't by stuff before you need it, then find out later that it's not right, but it's too late to return it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast