Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not about power steering

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Well, if I was road-racing this deal then the above would be really important. But I am also not sure that changing the angle that minor amount would have that great an affect on the the turning ability. What all of this lacks is no one here has actually tried it - so I will either succeed with what I want to do or it will fail.
    I wouldn't try it myself because I know it won't work right. The inside tire has to turn farther than the outside tire in a turn or the tires will scrub. It's that simple and that's why Ackerman is used. What you're proposing with reverse Ackerman would cause the outside tire to turn further than the inside tire, which is all wrong. It would "work" on dirt or gravel where the tires could slide but it would be totally screwed up on dry pavement, especially at large turning angles and at low speed like in a parking lot. A pencil and paper should convince you that it won't work, if you don't believe it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8874

Found this on a google search. Sounds like reverse Ackermann can be a useful thing on race cars but not something you would want on a street car.

Member #:3718
    i believe there are times when you have to go with what there is but again maybe with some aftermarket steering arms, I thiink I can accomplish what I want to do. And they told Dr. Frankenstein he couldn't do what he wanted to either....Boo!
    Remember the "13"

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Aftermarket or custom steering arms could get the Ackerman right if they have the right geometry. The tie rod would end up close to the disc rotor like the C4 picture I attached above.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Listen once again. Thanks for the insight but I do not care about the ackerman issue. If the tires drag a bit at the end of a run then so be it. I'm building a car that's ignoring some of the norms simply because I want too. Right now I am considering some S-10 dropped spindles.
    Last edited by chasracer; 10-15-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If you are considering this for a drag car, think about this. Do you push the car manually in the pits or shop, or when loading or unloading the trailer? If so, pushing it while turning is going to become a HUGE problem.

Ha - unless it's broke I don't do any pushing! Damn things are meant to be driven. And again, this is not changing the angle that much. In fact I don't think it's going to have much of an impact at all.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If you are unconcerned, why did you ask?

By asking, you won't be surprised if it turns out badly. Hope you reconsider.

Obviously we have one of these guys who doesn't believe anything until he tries it himself. So go for it and remind me next time not to try to help prevent you from doing anything stupid. I don't even see the point of your original post if you don't believe what anyone tells you. Good luck.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I asked if "ANYONE" had swapped the steering arms and if so, what was the result.

Nothing wrong with finding out if someone else might have gone there before you - problem is, no one on this board or reading the post has - I appreciate the information provided but I'm still going forward with my plans.

If you haven't actually done what I asked then you certainly have no real experience to share on it. And that's okay but don't make a big deal out of the fact that I asked a question about it but do not agree with your answers.

I once spotted a Chevelle like mine at the track that was slammed to the ground. I went over and asked how he got it that low and he took the hood off and showed me. Honestly, in my book he broke a lot of common sense rules but the damned thing worked and it was a winning car. And maybe before that a bit but a lot after it, I have always been willing to question the "general concensus". Just because it might look weird or wrong or whatever doesn't mean it won't get the job done.
    Last edited by chasracer; 10-17-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast