Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Brief History Of Sealed Beam Headlamps In The U.S.

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I've had many vehicles with sealed beams, and when well aimed, you could see everything 1/4 mile+ down the road going 70+ at night. especially with the high beams. The old foot operated headlight dimmer switch was still the best setup too. I never have liked the using the turn signal lever, except for flashing the lights.
    Completely agree on the foot dimmer being the best setup.

I was perfectly satisfied with conventional sealed beam headlights until I bought a newer used vehicle with HID headlights. We live in a rural location, and the brighter light really made a difference at night on our dark local two-lane roads. Since then I have made it a priority to upgrade the headlights on any of my older hobby cars.
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Member #:3898
    I too like the looks of the older sealed beam headlights on classics but, with that said I want to best lighting available and if that means a don't get that perfect classic look so be it. Seems these days we have more cars coming at us with the newer brighter lights and sometimes I feel my vision is impaired after one of them pass by.

Here's what just arrived for me yesterday and will be going in my 56 very soon. https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...ssic-projector

Dapper Lighting.JPG

Member #:3898
    Opps, I attached the wrong link and photo. Here's what I just received and will put in my 56. No headlight bucket modifications required.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...products/seven

Dapper Lighting Seven.JPG

Registered Member

Member #:5041
    I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I want the T-3 look, only new LED's so these old eyes could see at night.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I read somewhere that Holley had something stock appearing but they were reported to be in the $400.00 range.
    Last edited by markm; 01-13-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I love the old look incandescent glow of sealed beams that works fine when aimed correctly that I have used forever, plus I avoid driving my 55 at night anyway on dark highways. Risky enough even with the brightest lights in an old car looking out for a deer, etc.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad_57 View Post
    I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I want the T-3 look, only new LED's so these old eyes could see at night.
    https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/10...ors-conversion

You can even put T4 LEDs in it. I wonder why nobody's offering these for sale. Any modern upgrade is better than the stock junk, especially with the small wires they used. If I'm going to be driving at night I sure as hell want something better than a T3.

Here's the Holley RetroBrite LEDs... $200 each.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...SABEgKCvvD_BwE
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-12-2023 at 06:07 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

I've been driving my 55 for 2 years now and have never needed the headlights. I run them in some conditions, and they look like daytime running lights. Also have the white parking lights wired to come on with the headlights so it's easily seen. Or sometimes just the parking lights which I've have done since I was a kid.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I've been driving my 55 for 2 years now and have never needed the headlights.
    Yeah, like seatbelts and helmets, you never need them until you need them.

Modern headlights are WAY better than the obsolete stock sealed beam incandescents. Even halogens are much better and I like to see at night.

I plan to run LEDs with halos, using the halos as DRLs that come on when the ignition is on. Haven't picked the headlights yet. I bought some Hella E-code housings years ago but probably won't use them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

I have seatbelts that are 5-point camlocks and have worn my new Snell rated helmet when autocrossing. Also have a S&W rollbar, and a race spec Willwood safety steering column and I don't drive at night in that car on the highway driving in the rain. Plus, I don't have wipers, and halo lights would look like I would be trying too hard to look cool...
    My halogens cost $28 for the pair and work great.
    IMG_1565.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-16-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123