Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition coil polarity explained...

Banned

Member #:2775

Ignition coil polarity explained...

I have always hooked up the ignition coil on standard ignitions the way you are supposed to. Power+, and negative to the distributor. Someone brought it up, and I started to wonder why? I stumbled across this article, and it makes perfect sense now. Never really thought about it much before, but it's good to know.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm

Member #:115
    So since the body of the spark plug is grounded, that makes the side electrode negative. Electrons travel from negative to positive. To me that says the electrons travel from the side electrode to the center electrode. The secondary of the coil is referenced to the + terminal. So how does this work?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Only someone like Nikola Tesla could know. I will never know enough about electricity. It is FN magic!
    There are 2 schools of thought on electron flow. Magnetism is even a bigger part of electricity, and with Tesla's AC, the electrons are switching directions, at any frequency, at any voltage, at light speeds, and makes the magic happen. We are surrounded by AC waves, and it travels around the earth 7.5 times in one second, and beyond. It makes me feel stupid. Just check out the
    electromagnetic spectrum. They never mentioned that, or Tesla in school. Why?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Member #:3217
    Electrons move from negative to positive, but holes move from positive to negative...

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    As for the direction of the current, when the "points" open, the collapsing magnetic field in the transformer (coil) gives the pulse in the opposite polarity compared to the polarity of the circuit of when the magnetic field is being charged with the battery.

Voltage on the primary side of the coil when the magnetic field collapses is also much higher than the 12 volts supplied to it. If it doesn't scare you, try touching the two terminals with just a single D cell and feel the shock it gives you on the primary side when you disconnect the battery. That higher voltage is then multiplied even more in the HV winding of the coil. The purpose of the condenser (capacitor) is often debated, but I'm with the group that says it's there to help *absorb* that voltage spike from arcing across the points and causing premature failure.

I'm going to have to try that pencil test, it looks pretty cool!
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

test
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    had a 49 dodge that was positive ground. never did get that,HPIM0944.JPG but loved that car. HPIM0940.JPG
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Banned

There are some good animations on how ignitions systems operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEmSFDn8Rlw

Banned

Registered Member

They are good, thanks.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast