Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Auxilary Prime Fuel Pump in 55 Wagon

Registered Member

Member #:3477

Electric Auxilary Prime Fuel Pump in 55 Wagon

So the 55 doesnt like to start when its been sitting. Squirt some gas in the rear carb and it fires up. Its a hassle and I am thinking about an auxilary electric fuel pump for priming, actuated off of a toggle.

I think a pump that allows for a flow through like an Airtex will work. My only question is the plumbing.

Is it as simple as coming off the tank sender with fuel hose and then running fuel hose back to the line and proceeding up to the mechanical pump and carb?

Some of the diagrams have T fittings and bypasses but I would like to keep it simple.

Anyone do this in their car? Quick schematic?

Thanks, Scorp

Member #:530
    I dont' have any advice on this Scorp. I personally have had nothing but problems with any of my carbureted vehicles that sit for long. Just too many small parts that glaze/gum up when the gasoline evaporates from sitting.
    So my smart ass comment here is to switch to a fully fuel injected setup. (Warning: Domino effect dead ahead here.)
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    When cold take air cleaner off and watch at accellerator nozzles for fuel squirting when stroking carb sveral times if not carb is draining back possibly. My car sit some times for weeks and have not had to prime it has a wcfb on it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Fuel injected stuff will crank a bit if let sit for 4-6 weeks.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    I dont' have any advice on this Scorp. I personally have had nothing but problems with any of my carbureted vehicles that sit for long. Just too many small parts that glaze/gum up when the gasoline evaporates from sitting.
    So my smart ass comment here is to switch to a fully fuel injected setup. (Warning: Domino effect dead ahead here.)
    Paul,

sounds to me like your problems with carburetors are with running ethanol fuel... Do you have any alternatives out there?

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Could be the crap fuel they sell now.

When I prime it; it fires up. I was hoping to just jog the mechanical pump using an electric.

I have seen a few diagrams, but I want to keep it simple and they have multiple T's and a bypass line.

Current prime is a mustard bottle.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I use a snow plow oil bottle with a nipple for priming, The worst vehicle in fleet is Dads 68 Mustang, easiest is 1946 Chevy pu with a q-jet. Solution is drive them more.

Member #:530
    Yes Bama...it's definately the crap ethanol mixed fuel. No other alternatives here in the nanny state. Shit just dries up in a week or less in your carb.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If the electric pump is truly flow-through, seems all you'd need is to put it in series with the mechanical pump. The mechanical pump will still have to fill the carb fuel bowl if it's empty, so it still may take a few revolutions with the starter.

More positive instant start would be EFI, or even electric only.

Member #:115
    ..it's definately the crap ethanol mixed fuel.
    What's "crap" about it? If the car is set up to use ethanol blended fuels, the only real issue is slightly lower gas mileage. It does make gasoline slightly more volatile, so that's why closed fuel systems are used. No OEMs have produced a carbureted car in decades, so the fuel manufacturers don't care about them. There are solutions to help with the problems seen with carburetors and those problems can be mitigated. Most new EFI engines will run fine with ethanol blended fuels and benefit from the higher octane and cleaner emissions. I see little or no downside. Carbureted engines are a tiny fraction of the engines in use today.....and shrinking.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast