Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Just installed FiTech Fuel Injection to my 57 Chevy

Registered Member

Member #:1479

Just installed FiTech Fuel Injection to my 57 Chevy

For anyone who has done this. My son recently installed Fitech Fuel Injection to my 57 Chevy, with original 283 engine. I notice the engine and compartment is super super extremely hot. Is this normal? We changed over the distributor and Alternator to handle the fuel injection. The temp gauge only shows about 1/3 from C, so unless that is not correct, the engine is not overheated. Thanks for any info.

Paul

Member #:115
    If you didn't change anything besides getting rid of that antique carb and adding a computer distributor and bigger alternator, I don't know why it would run any different as far as temperature, especially since your gauge is apparently reading the same. Maybe it's your imagination.

Congrats on stepping into the 21st century.

Maybe you should check the ignition timing.
    Last edited by chevynut; 07-30-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Haha, that's what my son said about the 21st Century! But not my imagination. Before when I had the old Carter Carb, I could touch the frame near the radiator or even the old alternator, now with the Fitech, the frame is like super hot and alternator is the same. The heat is so extreme, but I will tell my son about the ignition.

Member #:115
    If the timing is retarded it could increase temperatures in the headers, which could make it hotter under the hood. I assume you have an O2 sensor so the mixture shouldn't be a problem unless the system is still learning. Let us know what you find out.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    They have installed several of these at a friends shop. I am aware of at least 1 with heating issues . I was wondering if it was lean.

Registered Member

Thank you all. My son had the O2 sensor installed, I also forgot to mention that we had to put in new Edlebrock Manifold because of the Fuel Injection ports would not open with my old cast iron manifold. My son mentioned that the system is learning and he would have to come down and program and that fuel mixture would be more leaner. So that could be it, but damn, that is freaking hot under there.

Paul

Registered Member

Member #:571
    These systems' base fuel maps are set up to run rich, not lean, on initial startup - and as the system "learns" it will lean out to the AFR set on the handheld. Thing is even if the base map is rich, it should be correcting real time using the O2 sensor. The "learning" just means that the base map is constantly being updated so that the correction is smaller.

Is the system set up for the EFI to control timing, or do you still use the original ignition system? As suggested, retarded ignition timing puts a lot of heat in the exhaust system.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 07-30-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks, I will be letting my son know. I know he told me to drive it around about 3 times a week until the system learns, I'm not sure if he changed out the original ignition system, I just know there is a lot of heat now, so maybe it is retarded ignition. This gives me some understanding. I sure appreciate it guys.

Paul