Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: This was Interesting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:3477

This was Interesting

So I am working on the 55 handyman.

I have been putting in a new wire harness but also cleaning stuff up that bugged me and was related to initial start and break in.

Today I wanted to clean up the fuel lines. Previously the 5/16th hard line ended and ran into a clear fuel filter, which ran into the mechanical pump. The pump fed into another filter which in turn ran the dual feed lines to the carbs.

I posted a while back about the car being hard to start and possibly running an auxilary fuel pump. Rather than that I decided to add a check valve at the carbs right before the pressure gauge with a 40 micron fuel filter just before the pump. The clear filter was just for a visual when we set up the motor; I wanted to insure against any crud that came out of the tank, even though I flushed it, and I wanted to see when I had fuel to the pump.

So I open the lines at the carbs and they are dry. I install a Russell check valve with AN6 fittings at the carbs feed line.

Then to the main line. I decided to just cut the rubber line at the filter, and then was going to dump the fuel filter into a jar- the filter was full.

So I opened the line and...

The fuel disappeared. It was sucked out of the filter as soon as I opened the lines before the pump. Ok, so there was a vacuum pull towards the tank? It wasnt gravity because it was gone in a sec. Not sure what was going on, but I suspect this was impacting my fuel delivery issue.

I shortened the hard line and inserted an Earls filter and then to the pump. I thought of a second check valve before the pump but decided against it.

The motor isnt ready to start up yet, as I am not done with the motor wiring.

It just seems odd that the filter was pulled dry immediately, and by the way when I opened the rubber line, it was empty as well.

Thoughts?

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-15-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling typo