Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: VIN # for a 1955 chevy belair 2 door hartop

Registered Member

Member #:4326

VIN # for a 1955 chevy belair 2 door hartop

My name is Joe Fagundes and I live in Massachusetts... I am looking for Vehicle Identification number for a 1955 chevy Belair 2 Door Hardtop.... I have all the parts and car just need VIN..... If anyone has for sale please respond to this message or you can call at 978-223-5486 Thank you

Member #:115
    It's illegal to sell a VIN tag, if that's what you're looking for.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Yep, violates both state and federal law.

Member #:3217
    The OP didn't post very much about his problem... Yes, generally it's illegal to 'sell' or buy a VIN plate to put on a separate vehicle (or to swap VIN plates between cars), BUT... I'm going to assume this gentleman bought a car that was missing the VIN plate but he has a title or registration (perhaps registered to an incorrect number?).. I once purchased a '55 BelAir HT which had been registered for over 25 yrs to the BODY STYLE NUMBER, which was obviously wrong to a knowledgable person. I had the car inspected by a law enforcement officer and we wrote a letter stating the inacccuracy and the correct VIN and I obtained registration to the correct VIN. In my case, the original VIN plate was installed, but the registration was incorrect. Also I understand in some states in 1955, vehicles were registered to the motor number, and motors get changed and updated, which also can instigate a correction to the correct VIN.

IF the car body missing the VIN plate is on the original frame, THE FRAME is stamped with the original unique VIN number, AND IF he can prove ownership of the vehicle, and prove it's frame has the appropriate VIN stamped on it (a photograph etc), It is possible to provide copies of those paperworks along with proof of his identification (matching the ownership papers), and obtain a 'reproduction' VIN plate to affix to the car. There are several sources who provide this service and it's apparently a legal thing to do.

PS. One can also go to the state and get a NEW VIN applied with all the sufficient proof noted above.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-15-2020 at 09:53 PM.

I guess my comment was that you can't legally just buy a VIN tag with the numbers on the title and affix it to the car unless you go through a legal process. However, most of these cars are rebuilt, with different frames, engines, etc. and sometimes the VIN tag is missing or falls off. These cars had VIN tags spot welded onto the a-pillar and over 60+ years the spot welds corrode and fail. I have seen it happen. The VIN tag on the HEMI55 is about to fall off because one spot weld has already failed. I'm not going to touch it, but if I were the owner I'd just epoxy it on so it doesn't completely fall of and get lost. It's probably not technically, legal, but that's what I'd do.

I don't know what the laws are in the OP's state but I would think there's some legal process to get a VIN verified and a replacement VIN tag made. I would start by asking the DMV what they need to do that. But he might not like the answer so I'd do it over the phone with my phone number blocked. And if you don't like the answer, call again and talk to a different person.

To be perfectly honest, if the OP has a legit title and it's transferred to him, and it matches the information for the car, I doubt that anyone would ever question it if he bought a new VIN tag and attached it to the car with epoxy or whatever. Probably few people care about a car that's 65 years old especially if it hasn't been reported stolen. It's probably not technically legal, but maybe the way I'd do it too. I'm not giving legal advice however.

I had a 55 Chevy 2-door sedan that I bought when I was in high school. It was a body shell with part of the interior in it and no engine or axles. I don't think I ever checked if the VIN matched the title I got. I had the title transferred to my name and finished the car. It was later stolen and I reported it to the Kansas City police (who I believe stole it ). 40+ years later I asked a sheriff friend to run the VIN from the title to see if it was registered or if there was any record of it. He found nothing in the national database. I dug out some old pictures and noticed the title (which I still have) said the car was a BelAir, but the body didn't have the Bel Air trim holes above the quarter window. So the title and the car VIN tag likely did NOT match. So who knows what happened to my car or what the real VIN number was, and who knows what happened to the car that my title was for. As far as I know, the seller could have swapped the VIN tag, but I don't recall ever looking at it. He had several tri5s and he may have just given me the title to the wrong one. Who knows....

Here's the US code:
    18 U.S. Code § 511. Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers

(a) A person who— (1)knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or

(2)with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(b) (1)Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are— (A)a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;

(B)a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;

(C)a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by— (i)the owner or his authorized agent;

(ii)applicable State or local law; or

(iii)regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/511

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I'm not going to say it's legal to put one of these on your car, but apparently it's legal to sell them. There's a legitimate argument to make if someone accidentally damages their VIN tag with a grinder or a sandblaster ignores it and blasts it, that you should be able to replace it. Some states may allow it via a legal process. Note that this guy is NOT in the USA.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAMPED-CHE...4383.l4275.c10

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

This is what Woody's Hot Rodz says about it....but I think they're wrong. If this were true and you bought an AME frame you'd have to re-title the car. Woodys also sells reproduction frames, so how do they identify them? Do they stamp them with your VIN? That's probably illegal too.

Questions about titling your Woody's Hot Rodz body?

"The most common question that Woody’s Hot Rodz receives about our bodies is undoubtedly “well, how do you title it?” Just as with anything, there’s a right way to do it, and a way that a lot of people do it. And when it comes to the right way to do it, it’s a question that must be answered with another question, being “how is your frame titled?” In the eyes of the US Government, in the case of a full-framed vehicle such as a Tri-Five is, your frame/chassis is the car. The body itself is simply a car PART. Therefore, the title and VIN technically follow whatever your frame setup is. That said, re-bodying a car regardless of frame must be done in proper fashion to meet your local and state laws, but as far as the actual title/VIN goes, it will follow your chassis. Revert to your local law enforcement or DOT for any further questions."

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S