Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:3217
    Brian, in your 'just sprayed' photos it looks very nice... very similar to the SPI as sprayed...

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Brian, in your 'just sprayed' photos it looks very nice... very similar to the SPI as sprayed...
    Thanks Gary,
    I have only used the Tamco a couple of times now but is seems to spray nice and lays out pretty smooth. I think the second side I did before though it was too hot outside in the sun so it dried a bit to fast. Acctually came out more shiny when it was hotter and in the sun more.
    Brian
    Last edited by Custer55; 08-23-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Progress Update

So after priming parts a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed a better place to do my media blasting to get things ready to prime. I got an idea to clean out an old Shelter Logic storage tent that the tarp had long since deteriorated (over 10 years old) and cover it with tarps or plastic to use it as a media blasting room.

Here is just the frame which is still in great shape after cleaning out the junk that was still inside and getting rid of what was left of the original tarp. Unfortunately in the process of cleaning it out I disturbed a hornets nest that was in the old dog house at the back of the shelter. Usually not a big deal for me but this time my left hand where it stung me got pretty swollen up on the back of that hand.

So a week later (last Sunday) I decided to dismantle the old dog house and in the process of doing that I got stung in the same hand by a wasp from another nest and this time the swelling was in the whole hand all the way back to my elbow. This time it was so bad I went to the doctor to get it checked out. I have allergy tests scheduled next week to see if I will need to keep an epi-pen on me all the time. I never had any breathing problems with it but my hand felt like it had 100 lbs. of air pumped in it and was ready to explode. The swelling is all gone now but it is still pretty itchy. I hope I never get stung by a one of those things again!!!

So between bee stings and letting the swelling go down I had enough time to weld up some small pin holes on the inner fenders where they bolt to the fenders to get them ready to epoxy prime. The inner fenders are only 22 guage so it doesn't take much of a rust pit to make a small hole.
    Yesterday I hung a pipe from my garage door tracks to hang the inner fenders from to prime them. This worked well as I can still open and close the garage door with them hanging on the pipe.

Better view from outside the garage. All sanded down cleaned up and ready for primer.

After a couple of coats of Epoxy primer looking much better.
    Now I need to finish my media blast room (without getting stung by any hornets or wasps) and continue media blasting and epoxy priming.
    Brian

That wasp or hornet got you very good, Brian~ Been a long time since I've seen one swell up like your hand did!

Your 'repurposing' the tent frame for a blasting room appears to be a good idea, especially if you put down a tarp on the ground to let you recollect/reuse the media!

That wasp or hornet got you very good, Brian~ Been a long time since I've seen one swell up like your hand did!

Your 'repurposing' the tent frame for a blasting room appears to be a good idea, especially if you put down a tarp on the ground to let you recollect/reuse the media!
    Yea, getting stung 2 weeks in a row apparently was too much. Weird though cuz I have never had more than a big itchy bump right at the sting site before.
    A big tarp on the ground is exactly my plan for being able to recover the blast media. Should save me a bunch of time setting up and cleaning up when I blast too.
    Brian

Progress Update

So this weekend I finally have my media blasting canopy almost ready to go. Just need to get a tarp to cover the ground and I should be ready to try it out.

I added bracing between the tubes to give the tarp going over the top more support. They are just 2 x 2's that I drilled on the ends with a 1.5" hole saw so they would fit snugly between the tubing. Then to secure them in place I ripped down 1/2" plywood into 1.5" strips and screwed that to the 2 x 2's on full length of the top and underneath at the joints only. Then I spaced them 18" apart and screwed them to the metal frame with self drilling sheet metal screws. I spaced them 18" apart because I may eventually by some 36'' wide metal roofing/siding to completely closed it in for a better storage shed / media blasting room. On the back wall I added some bracing too with lumber that I had laying around. The only thing I have had to buy so far is the 2 x 2's and the screws.

Close up view gives a better idea how I attached the 2 x 2's to the metal frame tubing. The screws into the metal tubing are from the bottom only so there is less chance of moisture getting inside the metal tubing and causing rust.

Today I got an old tarp on the back wall and the tarp I had bought to media blast in front of my shop over the top.
    Neither one was quite as big as it should be but this should make a much better place to do media blasting. I just need to buy a tarp to cover the ground yet. If this works out as well as I am hoping it will I may spend the money to close it in with metal siding with a big enough door on the front to get a car in and out. It is 13 feet wide at the base, 20 feet deep and about 10 feet high at the top so it will easily fit a car inside.
    Brian

Brian,

I like that approach for a 'blasting area' (if one doesn't have a concrete ROOm to do blasting in).. which I don't, nor do I know of anyone who does!

Do you plan to remove the tarps and store them inside when you aren't blasting? Otherwise, those plastic tarps don't seem to last very long when exposed to the UV rays of the sun. Do you get enough light thru the blue material? If not, I'd think of maybe making the top central portion of the tarp from thick (7 mil?) clear material.

Did you make the frame yourself, or was that purchased? I could use something similar to that myself. I've even thought in the past of making such a framework out of pvc material...?

Brian,

I like that approach for a 'blasting area' (if one doesn't have a concrete ROOm to do blasting in).. which I don't, nor do I know of anyone who does!

Do you plan to remove the tarps and store them inside when you aren't blasting? Otherwise, those plastic tarps don't seem to last very long when exposed to the UV rays of the sun. Do you get enough light thru the blue material? If not, I'd think of maybe making the top central portion of the tarp from thick (7 mil?) clear material.

Did you make the frame yourself, or was that purchased? I could use something similar to that myself. I've even thought in the past of making such a framework out of pvc material...?
    I will probably just leave the tarps in place when I am done as I have a trailer and some other things that can go in there when I am not sandblasting in there. I know the tarps won't last long but I will deal with that when the time comes.
    The frame work is what is left of a Shelter Logic brand storage canopy that came with a tarp type cover that lasted about 3 to 4 years.
    I'm sure they sell them all over but I purchased mine from Menards.
    Brian

Progress Update

So the last thing I needed was a tarp to cover the ground so I can recycle my blast media. I got this in place on Monday but with the days getting shorter I decided to wait for the weekend to start media blasting. By the time I get home from work, eat supper and get dishes done there is not enough time before dark to make it worthwhile to start anything so I did a few projects in the garage I have been putting off.

The first one was easy, just welding the brace I removed from the drivers door back in place.

When I pushed the roof back in place I had made a couple of cuts in the rear package shelf to get access to push the roof up. Got that welded back in place.

Last one was to repair and weld this brace back in place that I had removed when working on the roof.

The first step is to replace the flange where the brace welds to the seam between the roof panel and the quarter panel. It was easier to just cut the flange off to get it out knowing I could just replace the flange to get it back in.

New flange welded in place. It will still need to trimmed to size and formed to fit the roof / quarter seam.

View from the other side.

With the flange formed, trimmed and spot weld holes drilled ready to weld back in place.

Welded back in place so I can check that one off the list.

Saturday morning all set up ready to start media blasting on the drivers door. Over the weekend I got both doors, the hood, the trunk and both rear fenders blasted. The lighting was good when the sun was out on Saturday with the south end of the canopy being open. On Sunday it was cloudy so it was a bit harder to see what I was doing but not bad. With the tarp on the ground I am able to recover the majority of the blast media and reuse it. The media will be about ready for replacement by the time I lose most of it anyway. Nice to keep this mess behind the shop and farther away from the house.
    Brian

Member #:530
    Lookin' good Brian. Great temporary blasting structure you built there. Get everything else off the car that needs blasting done, and then use it as a spray booth to get primer on, then dissasemble and move the party inside for the fall/winter.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast