Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:2442
    So I could paint the hood and the door that is ready to go I bought a couple of the folding work stands from Harbor Freight which worked out nicely.

Hood and door painted on the inside.

Hood and door flipped over to get a couple coats of epoxy on the outside.

The last part I have ready to go right now is the drivers side rear fender. Since this is lighter weight I hung it up so I could paint both sides at the same time.

A couple of coats of the 5311 Direct to Rust sprayed on. The direct to rust sprays pretty nice also but you do need to use a 1.8 to 2.0 tip depending on your mix ratio. You can use is as a sealer also by using more reducer. I dries fast and sands pretty easy as well.

Inside of the fender sanded out ready for epoxy. Just basically scuffed it good on the inside so any rust that was left would be sealed up well.

The outside I bock sanded it out to just leave the DTR in the rust pits and low spots.

And finally a couple coats of epoxy inside and out.

So after a couple of days of dry time I got the fender and door back on the car which is as good a place as any to store them for now. When I painted the hood, door and fender the weather had started cooling off and shop temps were just under 60 degrees. At that temp the parts seemed to be curing very slowly so I turned the furnace up to get just over 60 for a couple of days and they seem to be cured much better now so 60 degrees or over is what the shop needs to be for the epoxy. Our weather has really turned colder this week (30's and low 40's for highs for at least the next week). The rest of what I need to get in epoxy all needs metal work anyway so that works out ok. Hopefully we will have a warm spell later this month or early in November so I can get a few more parts done. I can turn the heat up in the shop if I need to but I prefer not to have the furnace running a lot when I am painting. I normally just keep the shop about 50 degrees of less during the winter months.

A couple of shots with the door and fender in place. Now on to more metal and rust repairs.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Brian, your '39 Ford sure looks LOTS BETTER after all your body work and with the black epoxy on it now!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Brian, your '39 Ford sure looks LOTS BETTER after all your body work and with the black epoxy on it now!
    Thanks Gary. It sure does look a lot better than what I started with. Still a bunch of work left though and lots of other projects around the house that need my attention too!!

Member #:1723
    Brian,
    Wow! You have come a long ways! Looks wonderfully smooth and restored. Very nice job!
    Regards, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Brian,
    Wow! You have come a long ways! Looks wonderfully smooth and restored. Very nice job!
    Regards, Doug
    Thanks Doug, It's far from perfect but not too bad considering I have not used any body filler yet.
    Brian

Wow, It has been over 4 months since my last post. I has just started working on the passenger side rear fender when I decided to upgrade the heating system in our house to in-floor radiant heat. We started working on that project in late October and got it up and running by late in January and then spent the next month or so getting the house back in order. It ended up being quite a time consuming project as it involved installing 7 pex tubing loops underneath the floors. Basically a loop of tubing in each joist bay so holes had to be drilled in most of the floor joists and a whole bunch of protruding nails had to be cut off before stapling/screwing up the pex with heat transfer plates. And doing some removal and modifications to the existing duct work (we will still use if for the central air and as a back up heat system) so it ended up taking about a week to install each of the 6 main floor loops and a couple weeks for the 1 upstairs loop. That one took longer because we had to remove a ceiling in one downstairs room and the tile and tileboard in the upstairs bathroom. Then that bathroom had to have new tile installed, all the baseboard and door trim replaced. Once all that was done I installed the boiler, pumps, control box and plumbing to make it all work. Thankfully my brother who was a plumber and has done lots of these systems in the past was able to help me get if up and running and answer all of my dumb questions along the way. It has been working good since we got it going, the house is much more comfortable with the warm floors!! Our cat loves it too, it didn't take him to long to figure out where the warm spots on the floor are.
    Anyway here is where I was at on the rear fender before we started that project.
    Here is a few pics of the damage to be repaired.

Some rust here where dirt gets between a brace on the inside and the outer fender

Here where the fender bolts to the body and the running board.

More rust where the fender bolts to the body. (same place as the inner fender needed repair!!

And more rust and dents on the lower rear section.

The easiest repair on this one was a crease which came out without to much trouble, should just need a skim coat of filler.

I made a pattern off the drivers side rear fender to make a patch for the lower rear section.

Patch fitted up to the fender. I had intended the patch to farther to the rear but couldn't get it to fit right so it got cut off shorter.

Front part of the patch tacked in place and the rear damage cut out and smaller patch bent to shape.

Rear section clamped and then tack welded in place.
    Brian

One more patch needed to finish up the bottom edge.

Formed up and clamped in place.

And tacked in place.

And on to the lower rear corner. Just a small patch here cut down and formed to fit the shape of the fender.

With the fender cut out for the patch panel you can see the inner brace which caused the rust by trapping dirt and moisture.

Tack welded in place. This is where I left off before starting on the in-floor radiant heat project at the end of October.

So a couple of weeks ago with some time and ambition to work on the 39 again I started by finishing the welding and grinding on the patches I had tacked in place.

And the lower rear corner done.

Damage cut out at the front of the fender where it meets the running board. I left the inner part alone for now so the shape of the fender where it bolts to the running board will stay the same.

At this point I bolted the fender back in place to fit up this patch.
    Brian

I tacked this one in place with the fender still bolted in place so nothing would get out of shape.

So on to the inner part of the patch. I made this from 2 pieces which I then tacked together while clamped in place.

Here the patch is fully welded together and bead rolled reinforcement added similar to what the original fender had.

Fitted up and ready to tack in place.

And tack welded in place.

And the last rusty are of this fender to need a patch panel.

Fitting up a patch for this section.

Fitted and tack welded in place.

Fully welded and ground out looking much better.

Bolted back on the car again (as good a place as any to store it for now.) it fits pretty well after some tweaking to remove the weld distortion in the patch areas.
    Brian

And finally to get caught to where I am at a couple more pictures of the fender bolted back in place.

So next up will be the passenger side door of the trunk. I have not decided which one to do next. Might depend on which one is easier to get at in my messy shop!!!
    Brian

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast