Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:3217
    Brian,

That engine will work perfectly for your 39 Ford... We'll be seeing it on the road before long...

Member #:3249
    You won't set any land speed records with it, but you'll have all the power you need to keep up with traffic. I like to go the route you did, some used engines work out just fine, and you did a great job with the clean up, paint up work on it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My Dad mused on of those free 305s with a fresh TH350 and a 79 Camaro 8.5 posi with 3.08 gears. I t scoots around town nicely with no need for an ugly plastic engine cover.

Member #:2442

Shop Projects

I haven't worked on the 39 much for the last 6 to 9 months as my wife and her 2 sisters decided last spring to sell their parents house they inherited about 7 years ago. Being a house that was originally built about 1960 it needed some work before putting it up for sale, so that kept me busy most of last summer. Naturally there was plenty of things to clean out of the place as well so some of what we brought to our house led to some projects for my shop this winter.
    Also my son took a job out of state so helping him move in early September kept us busy for a while as well.

This was my 1st project. The cabinet doors came from my father in laws work shop and I built the rest from wood he had stashed in the rafters. I put lots of shelves inside so it keeps things more organized and much cleaner than being on the open shelf unit I had.

The next project was my work bench make over. I added 5 drawers, gave it a paint job and covered the top with laminate that was in the rafters of the in-laws garage as well. I had to do the top in 5 pieces but it's hard to tell in the picture. Nice to have a surface that is easier to clean up. We will see how well it holds up though.

Next up was motorizing my bead roller. I had bought this over a year ago and hadn't used it much mostly because with a hand crank it is pretty much a 2 person operation. Turning the hand crank while trying to guide a piece through the rollers on the other end by yourself is almost impossible. Eastwood has a nice kit to motorize bead rollers but is almost $400. dollars. So after looking on you tube to see what others had done I remembered I had a 1500 lb. ATV winch I inherited from my uncle about 10 years ago, so that is what I used to power up mine.
    I made a few minor mods to the winch but it wasn't to hard to do. Just had to cut off one of the flanges off the part that holds the winch cable and I took the spring out of the winch reversing switch so it stays in the forward or reverse position instead of returning to the neutral position when you release it. I made a foot pedal switch with a cheap horn button and a couple of blocks of wood. It is wired through a relay so it doesn't need to be a heavy duty switch.
    I am using an old battery charger for the power source which has a 6 volt and 12 volt setting. That gives me 2 speeds at least for now. It runs half speed on 6 volt vs 12 volt. If that doesn't work out I will look into getting a variable speed control box for it.

This is the bracket that I made from the 1 that came with the winch to bolt it to the bead roller.

For the drive sprockets I had an old small block Chevy timing chain set. I welded a 1" shaft collar on the cam sprocket and brazed a 1 1/4" shaft collar to the crank sprocket. (crank sprocket was way to oily to weld) This worked good as it cuts the speed of the winch in half as well. I had to file down the shaft of the winch some to get the sprocket to slide on. A small lathe would have been nice to have for that (someday!!). Another nice thing with using the winch is that it has a knob on the end that you pull out so the cable shaft free wheels from the winch gear drive. This is so you can pull the cable out of the winch without running the winch motor but it will come in pretty handy if I ever need to turn the bead roller by hand.

Here is some test pieces I ran with it. From left to right is 16 gauge, 18 gauge and a 20 or 22 gauge.
    I will need to make some bracing for the frame if I need to do anything heavier than 18 gauge as the bead roller frame flexes quite a bit with 18 gauge (which is what it is rated for) and way to much with 16 gauge.
    The winch motor seems to have plenty of power to do the job though.

And this was my next project. A 12 ton bottle jack came home with me from my in-laws house so what else are you going to do with that but build a shop press. The only things I had to buy for this project was some nuts and bolts, return springs and 4 five foot pieces of 2 1/2" x 1/4" flat stock. The rest I had left over from other projects.

I made the arbor plates from a 12 x 12 x 2 1/4" thick piece of steel that my father in-law had in his work shop as well.
    He worked at a paper mill so I am assuming that is where it came from. They are way overkill and were a bitch to cut as my cutting torch is only good for 1 1/2" thick or so steel, I used up a bunch of cut off wheels on 1 cut and then tried to drill a series of holes and then the cut off wheels on the next cut. Nothing in my shop worked very well so I am glad that is done. A band saw or a bigger cutting torch would be the way to go I guess. I welded some tabs to the jack base to bolt that in place and the control valve got a bolt welded to the end of it so I could use an old 4 wheel drive shift knob for that. I think it came off of a 77 Chevy 1/2 ton and works much nicer than using the jack handle.

Continued

I had to much for one post so here is the rest.

And the last project before getting back to work on the 39 Ford was a small press brake. It is 12" wide at the dies so It should work with most anything I will have to do. I made the lower die so it bolts to the base so if I need something different for the lower die I can easily swap it out. I still need to get some springs for the guide shafts but it's not to hard to just lift the upper die as it is not that big.

Here it is apart along with a couple of test bends. Seems to to do a good job on this 1/8" stuff, The bigger one is for the 39 Ford brake pedal mount. Should be good for anything I will need to bend as 3/16" is about the heaviest I ever work with. Probably would work on 1/4" too if it wasn't to wide.
    So hopefully my next post will be sooner rather than later and I will have some progress on the 39 Ford project to report on.
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    You’ve been very busy, Brian. The tools you made look great.

Thanks Richard!

Member #:1723
    Hi Brian,
    Really nice shop improvements! The workbench looks so nice, I would be afraid to use it and put the first mark on it (like a new car!). I loved the timing chain usage - sweet!
    Regards, Doug

Thanks Doug,
    I have been using blocks of wood to protect the new surface, and being more careful how I set things down.

Member #:530
    Tooling up is always a good move. Especially when there's more work to do on cars. Like all that you've done. Great re-use of existing stuff.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast