Next up was to check all my clearances and finalize the engine and transmission positions.

I added a piece of t-bar from an old garage door opener to the balancer that would set across the frame so I could set the engine height and get it centered more easily. Hard to see in the picture but I have a bracket with a threaded adjuster that sits on the crossmember to get the engine level side to side also. I got the transmission set in place at the rear with a piece of square tubing and some shims sitting on the original x-member.

With the heads and intake bolted in place I pulled and HEI distributor from another engine to check for clearance to the firewall. I had to move the engine forward about an inch to have just a bit more than 1/4" clearance. It will be tight but it should work fine without doing anymore modifications on the firewall.

Another view shows how tight it is but everything else will have plenty of clearance.

Next I bolted the fenders and grille back on to check how much room I would have for a radiator and fans and figure out how big of a radiator would fit. The 39 standard is narrower in the front and the stock radiator is 16" wide vs 19" wide on a 39 deluxe.

Even with a long water pump and fan looks like there should be plenty of room for a radiator. (flex fan is for mock-up only, I won't be using it) I do have a short water pump available which I found later so that will be an extra 1" plus clearance.

With the hood sides set in place it almost looks like a car again.

I ended up making a cardboard mock-up of a 39 deluxe - 40 ford radiator because speedway had a Griffin radiator for them as a garage sale item at $215. vs the regular price of over $900. With my short water pump in place It looked like I could maybe make it work with a mechanical fan or electric fans in front of the radiator. Very tight to the hood sides though. I was going to call them to get some exact measurements of the radiator but when I checked back on their website they had already sold it. So much for that plan. They do have some universal fit radiators that will work for around $300. so not the end of the world but of course those will need custom mounts etc. so a lot more work than one that would pretty much bolt in.

Another view with the cardboard mock-up. Really tight at the hood sides so probably better to get a radiator closer to the original size anyway.
So with the engine position finalized time to work on the motor mounts and transmission crossmember. I ended up ordering a trans pad and motor mount cushions from Speedway Motors for that project.
Brian