Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:2442
    Today I got the inner flange rebuilt on one corner of the trunk. Not to hard to do as I just cut some pieces of 18 gauge slightly wider than the original flanges, clamped them in place and then scribed them to the outside of the trunk to cut them to size.

Already did the short piece in the corner and the longer piece at the bottom clamped in place to weld in.

Another view. The 3/16" holes are to eventually spot weld the new flanges to the inner structure.

Tacked in place at the seam joints and on the outside edge. The ruler shows where I will need to build up the edge of the patch with weld also. The patch flange must have bent to far inward when I hammered it over.

After welding up the seam with a series of small tacks on the edge and beyond to fix the lower edge misalignment.

First step is to grind the weld flush to the new flange piece on the inside.

With the trunk flipped over the weld is ground flush to the outer skin and then the face of the edge ground and filed to the correct shape. Looks like I will need to add some welds and extend them more to the center of the trunk as indicated by the sharpie mark.

After re-welding and filing it out a bit.

After some grinding looking better. May still need to tweak it a bit but I will do that after it's bolted back on the car to get the gaps correct.

With the edge rounded off to better match the original shape of the trunk edge.

Inside all finished up other than the spot welds to the inner structure. Next will be to repeat the process on the other corner and then bolt it back on for final fitting.
    Then I will decide what to work on next. Probably won't be doing anymore epoxy priming until spring as it's too expensive to keep the shop over 60 to 65 degrees this time of year. My shop stays pretty dry so bare metal developing surface rust is a non issue for me.
    Brian

Member #:3
    Good evening Brian ,

The 39 is looking good keep it up.
    That Merc is one bad ass looking ride share some more pictures of it please .

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Update

It's been a while since I posted my progress again. The Friday before Thanksgiving I came down with a flu bug or something. I had terrible headaches and felt like I was going to throw up all the time although I never did. Basically just felt like crap and it took over a week before I felt like doing anything and 3 weeks before I felt normal again so nothing got done for a couple weeks and I have been just working on it off and on since then.

The first thing I did was to get the other corner of the trunk repair finished up on the inside.

Here is the completed repair with drain holes added to prevent a future rust out.

And a couple of shots with the trunk lid bolted back in place. Fit is about as good as it ever was but I will try to fine tune it a bit in the spring before I get it in epoxy primer. There is a guy with a 40 Ford that attends all the local shows and cruise-ins in the area so I may wait and see how his trunk fits before I do anything with it too.

So next I worked on welding a section of the left rear quarter panel inner structure that I had cut out to work on the quarter panel last year. Here is is clamped and cleaned up ready to start welding it back in place. Probably the 1st time I ever used my butt weld clamps. They worked out nice for this since there was a gap from cutting out the section with a jig saw and sawsall.

Tack welded in place. lots more welding and grinding to go.

All welded up and ground out. Don't have to be so picky about grinding this out perfect as it will be under and interior panel eventually anyway.

So the next project will be working on the cowl area and firewall. First up is fixing the cowl door area. This area is pretty rusty as it is an area that water would have sat in all the time.

Here is a shot of the original cowl vent door on the bottom right (which is a rusty mess). And a better used door on the bottom left and a better used cowl door opening (both purchased on ebay). The only downside of the replacement parts is they came off a pickup truck which had a different bracket on the door and the cowl section piece is shaped different and wider above the opening to the windshield so it will take more work to get it to fit right. The door itself is the same shape so I should be able to make it work much easier than fixing the rust on the original parts.

Here you can see the difference between the original cowl door hinge bracket and the replacement.
    Original rusty one at the bottom of the picture. The bracket on the original is in decent shape so I will just swap that bracket onto the replacement door.

First off was to swap the hinge brackets on the cowl doors. After taking some measurements it looked like the brackets were in the same position on each door, just a different shape bracket.

So after scribing around the brackets on each door I removed both brackets from the doors. The original was easy as I wasn't saving the door so I just drilled all the spot welds to get it loose, no big deal if I had to drill all the way through.
    On the replacement door (bottom of photo) I used a spot weld cutter so as not to do any damage to the door. At this point I just needed to grind off what the spot weld cutter left behind and media blast the rust off the replacement door.

Here the original bracket is clamped in place on the replacement door. I drilled 1/8" holes and screwed it together with small sheet metal screws to hold the two in position for now. The small holes from the screws will be easy to weld up later.

I then bolted the door back in and aligned it to the original opening. With it aligned good I drilled 2 - 3/32"alignment holes in the hinge (under the dash area) and the bracket. That way I can bolt it back on and it should be positioned the same way each time to make sure the replacement opening will also be aligned correctly.

With everything cleaned up good I got some primer on the door and bracket so it doesn't get as rusty between them in the future.

Roughly cut out the cowl opening. The section that is left is spot welded to the bracket that the hinge mounts to and is attached to the under dash structure.

With the rest of the rusty door opening removed from the inner structure.

Starting to fit up the replacement door opening.

Here you can see how different the shape is on the replacement part.

A little better but still a ways to go.

Here I ended up trimming it closer to the opening to get a better fit. I would have preferred to put the seam closer to the windshield opening but not going to make this any harder to do than it needs to be.

And another view, the fit is looking better.

With the cowl door bolted back in to check the fit to the new door opening. With the opening lined up to the door I screwed the new cowl opening in position so I can scribe a line to cut out the original cowl and fit it all up to weld in the new opening. I have the opening positioned a bit to the left in relationship to the door as the way the door bolted up to fit to the original opening there is more adjustment to move the door to the left than to the right. Also the door is just screwed to the bracket for now. I will hold off on welding them together in case I need to adjust the door position after the new cowl door opening is all welded up.
    So that is where I am at right now.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Brian,

You're continuing to do outstanding metal work in correcting the rust on your 39 Ford... *applause*...

I can't wait to see it looking 'all perfect' in epoxy primer...

Gary

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Really nice work Brain, I love the detailed pics, and how you explain what the pics are.

Member #:1723
    Great job! I really like those period features, like the cowl vent!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Nice save, looking good.

Thanks guys!! It will be keeping me busy for quite a while.

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast