Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:2442

Progress Upadate

So over the last week or so I got the cowl vent project finished up. It turned out pretty well so I will be on to the next project which will most likely be removing the old firewall, doing a few repairs on the cowl area of the body and then installing a recessed firewall I purchased many years ago from Bitchin Products.
    Below is some pictures of the rest of the cowl vent & cowl vent door repair.

With the new section screwed in position I had scribed a line to where the old metal needed to be cut out.
    I laid the tape down on the scribed lines to make it easier to cut the old metal out. Much easier to cut to the edge of the masking tape than a fine scribed line.

Here it is all cut out other than the tabs I left in the corners so I could screw it back in the correct position for final fitting.

With the piece fitted up other than the corners with the tabs still in place I tack welded a couple of tabs on top and drilled and screwed into the cowl so the position would be maintained with the 4 corner tabs cut out.

Finally ready to start welding in place with the corner tabs removed and those areas fitted up.

After getting enough tacks on the patch at the base of the windshield to hold it in position I removed the locating tabs on the top of the cowl. So now just lots of welding and grinding left to do.

After getting it tacked all the way around I bolted the door back in to check the fit. Looks good so the welding continued.

After a couple more rounds of tack welds it's getting there. I like to grind most of the tack welds down between welding as it gives everything time to cool down and makes it easier to keep track of what is a new tack weld and a previous weld.

With all the welds done and finished out it looks much better than the rusted mess I started with. Will just need a thin layer of body filler to make it look like new again.

Here I have the cowl vent door to hinge bracket welded back in place and finished out. I did make a small adjustment on the position to get the gaps evened out. This was easy with just the screws holding it on as I just needed to drill the holes in the door slightly oversize, reposition it a bit then screw it tightly to the bracket before taking it back off the car again to final weld it in place.

And here it is bolted back in place, the fit looks good. The used parts I purchased on ebay made this project much easier so well worth what I paid for them.
    On to the firewall project. Not looking forward to getting the old firewall out but it won't remove itself so I see a lot of drilling and four letter words in my future!!
    Brian

Member #:1723
    Hey Brian,
    Wow, nice job, looks great with a great fit! A lot of work, but great to have that piece looking so clean & functional!
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3217
    I really admire Brian's dedication to his 'tasks', not letting the 'whole job' get to him, but instead concentrating on one part at a time.. and he does each part fantastically...

Thanks for the kind words guys. This project has been a good one to learn and practice on for me. It's a nice enough car to be worth saving but not so nice to worry about messing it up.

Member #:530
    Great job Custer55. Keep going man. Keep posting your progress pics. Keeps us all motivated to stay up with out own projects.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Nice work, and it’s looking good!

Thanks WC & Richard. There is plenty of work left to do yet so I will keep posting. Glad you guys are interested in seeing more updates.
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Really nice Brain kept up the good work.

Member #:3454
    I think this is one of the better threads on this site. I love 39 and 40 Fords.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I think this is one of the better threads on this site. I love 39 and 40 Fords.
    When I was young I wanted one with a 327. Nice build.

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast