Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Moving right along there Brian! Looks great. I gotta admit I miss doing all that fabrication work. I had more fun doing that than I have the assembly work on my car.
    Thanks! I agree that all the final assembly stuff can be pretty tedious at times.

Update

I didn't get a lot done this week as I was out of town for the weekend, but here it is.

The first thing I worked on was fitting up the center panel to finish the area behind the back seat. Originally this was a spare tire well but I just made it flat with bead rolled panels. I don't plan on having a spare tire as the car will have different front and rear tire sizes anyway. This should be a good spot to mount the battery though.

Here I have it tack welded in place. I decided to get the rear part of the trunk fabbed up and fitted before finishing the weld seams. No good reason for that, just decided I didn't feel like doing all that welding that day.

After making a cardboard pattern for the passenger side rear area I made a weld flange to fit the pattern. A couple of the sharper bends were to much metal to shrink so I made pie cuts, welded them up and then fine tuned the bends with the shrinker and stretcher.

Passenger side plug welded in place.

And the drivers side made up and plug welded in place.

Then made a cardboard pattern for the passenger side rear corner which also worked for the drivers side when flipped upside down. The plan is to do this area in 3 pieces plus some small filler pieces in the corners where the the two ends and the center pieces meet.

And finally the passenger side corner piece cut out, bent up and fitted in place. I did get the drivers side fitted up as well but didn't get a picture of that. I started working on the center part but didn't get to far with it so that will be in the next update.
    Brian

Member #:1723
    Hi Brian,
    What great progress you continue to make - looks great!
    Regards, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Hi Brian,
    What great progress you continue to make - looks great!
    Regards, Doug
    Thanks Doug.

Member #:3217
    Great work as always, Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Great work as always, Brian!
    Thanks Gary

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    That’s going to be one nice, solid body when you’re done, Brian. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    That’s going to be one nice, solid body when you’re done, Brian. Nice work!
    Thanks Richard, it sure will be nice to be rid of all that rust! Getting closer every day.

Progress update

This week I continued working on the rearmost part of the trunk floor. I started by making a narrow sample piece to get the bends figured out for the center part.

Here I have it clamped in place on the drivers side. When I checked it on the passenger side I found a problem that needed to be fixed. The passenger side lower area of the quarter panel that I had repaired a while back didn't have quite the same shape as the drivers side which is still the original shape.

I made a cardboard pattern of the drivers side and used it to reshape the passenger side. I used combination of heat with the cutting torch and a tucking tool to shrink the flanges to get the correct shape. The black line on the pattern is what the shape was before fixing it.

So with that done I started on the center piece using my sample piece to layout the bends and then bead roll the panels similar to the rest of the trunk floor. Before doing the bead rolled panels I used my air hammer and planishing bit to pre-stretch the areas. It worked good to eliminate the distortion but I have to play around with air pressures and the air hammer adjustments as it was a bit to aggressive on a couple of the panels.

And with the bends made ready to fit up to the end pieces and the gas tank area panel. This one I had to bend over some square tubing as it was a couple of inches to wide for my bending brake.

All fit up with tabs welded to screw it in place I tack welded it to the end pieces hoping that I could remove and install the three pieces as a unit. Must have been my lucky day as I was able to get it out to finish the welding and small transition piece on the welding table. This made the job much easier!!

Here I have the transition piece tack welded in the place on the passenger side, which turned out to be much smaller than what I was thinking it would be. If I was to do this again I would just have made the end piece slightly bigger in that area.

And here is the drivers side after shaping the end and center pieces. The filler piece needed on this side was even smaller. Should have planned this out better.

All welded up and finished out. I actually used a copper backer to just weld up the gap on this side instead of making such a small filler piece.

All welded up and ready to do the final fitting.

Fitted up, screwed in place ready to final weld in place. Once everything is all welded up I think I am going to work on the trunk as that needs some tweaking to get the fit better. Then I can start on the tail pan after that is done.
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    It’s looking great ,Brian. Nice work!

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast