Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 & 57 chevy frames

Registered Member

Member #:1756

55 & 57 chevy frames

I installed a 57 chevy frame to where I had back halfed my pro street 55. I know the one difference was the bumber horns which I redid to accept the 55 bumpers but I am having problems with the clutch setting not being able to get enough free play. is the pivot ball bracket location different from a 55 to a 57. I have made patterns off of a friends 55 chassis using the lever for the column shift and the oval hole and the small hole in the chassis and they are different from a 55 to a 57. Planning on converting the z bar to 57 and I am using bracket for aluminum bellhousing which I won't have to straighten out but also notice the only other part different is the clutch pedal push rod is different from a 55 it looks longer. trying to make patterns off of both to see if I have pivot ball bracket on frame in correct place. anyone know the difference in both frames in clutch area. would appreciate any help.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The frames should be the same in that area except that the diameter of the pivot ball itself may be different.

You can double check using the frame dimensions in the assembly manuals which are online.

The linkage is different between the two. The legs on the z-bar are clocked differently. Should not be a problem if you use all the pieces for one year. 57 is preferred because of the better clutch fork.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 04-14-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Registered Member

that's what I am using. any other diagram beside manual to determine placement of pivot ball bracket on chassis?

Member #:1653
    Not certain there would be anything more accurate than the actual build prints.

Registered Member

they are so hard to read and understand

Registered Member

Are you using online versions or printed versions of the assembly manual? My experience is that the printed drawings are clearer, but the computer stuff allows you to zoom in - so a combination of the two may be what works best.

Registered Member

i looked at both. i was using the bracket on the frame for the column shift, the oval hole, and the 1/4 hole next to it for the pattern. do you know if the bracket for the column shift is in a different location for the automatic and standard shift.

Registered Member

I believe the bracket for the automatic transmission linkage is in a different spot from the clutch linkage z-bar pivot ball bracket.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    My 57 nomad was originally an automatic transmission. The original frame had the ball mount welded to the frame for standard shift Z arm for the clutch. I don’t know if they are all like this or not. I used this along with the ball stud threads in the side of the BBC block to insure engine position was good. In my case a modified 55 chevy Z arm (i think as I purchased it used) was modified to change one of the arms to complement the custom link arm I made to make the depressing of clutch smoother and easier on my leg. Made arm longer and changed position on one only. I think the ball studs, fork, bell housing, and lower rod were Corvette pieces.

You shouldn’t have to go thru all that I did unless you want to alter the motion.

Registered Member

gmvette, I hate to have to call out on things like this, but just about everything you posted is false. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast