Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: "1955,56,57, Tail Gate Nomad hinges in steel."

Registered Member

Member #:3799

"1955,56,57, Tail Gate Nomad hinges in steel."

All the Manufacture's who have been long making 1955,56,57, steel hinges for the regular station wagon's have to do is" Keep some aside and drill, and tap the three holes in the Nomad Pattern "instead of the regular wagon pattern. This is not Rocket science, the hinge is all ready being made , and it's just the positioning of the three tapped holes that would make it 100% correct for the Nomad. It's impossible to remove the old pins out of a used nomad hinge for re-building. Everyone say's just get a billet Aluminum one?

Member #:3217
    nomad?

Do you need new hinges? Are yours missing? or ?
    Have you called one or more of those 'hinge manufacturers and asked?

Alternative: Run a Wanted Ad for original Nomad hinges.. you'll likely get some hits..

Member #:2442
    Another option would be to weld the holes shut in a wagon hinge, (New or used) and re-drill them to the Nomad pattern.

Member #:530
    I think I have my originals....since I replaced them with the polished aluminum ones from MadMooks...
    are you interested in working out a deal if so?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Wagon Crazy, and every one else who responded thank you . Me and my re-storer friend have tried to re move the old pin's from used Nomad tail gate hinges, and even with plenty of heat , the knerling , rust ect. prevents the pin from coming out. Even if the manufacturer's would leave the reproduction hinges undrilled it would be no problem to drill and tap the holes properly with a drill press. This would only mean that the manufacturer has one less step, in a part that they already make. I bet that they can charge the same price too , and every one is Happy !
    Last edited by nomad; 07-18-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Member #:530
    so...are you wanting a set of used 57 nomad hinges? or no?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

A No Brainer

WagonCrazy, I have purchased and me and my restorer friend have tried to remove the old pins from a used Nomad tail gate Hinge, and have done this several times, and I am not interested in used Nomad Hinges. If the manufacturer's of new regular 1955-57 tail gate Hinges, would just not drill and tap the three holes and sell them undrilled then it would be an easy task for someone to use their old Nomad hinge for a guild to drill and tap the three holes in the Nomad Position. Unless someone has a set of NOS 1955-57 Nomad steel Tailgate Hinges for sale , I have given up and am just going to get the offered new Alum. ones. Thank you for trying to help. Dom
    Last edited by nomad; 10-21-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Registered Member

Bama, yes I have called and spoke to the manufactures , and they said that because it's an over seas item their is nothing they can da about it. I said that I would happily pay the same amount for undrilled, and untapped pieces but they said no, and it would be to difficult to put some undrilled and untapped ones aside. I told that this was foolish and that I am sure that some Nomad owner's would buy them. Bama thank's for all your help. Domenic

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    If I needed a set, I think a set from southern California would be a safe bet.

Member #:3217
    I've spent a great deal of time with the tailgate hinges recently on my car. I didn't notice this slop when they were mounted as the tailgate seemed to move solidly. Once I removed them for repainting, I noticed there was 'slop' in the hinge halves, so I ordered a hinge repair kit and attempted to drive out, then press out, then press out with heat.. the pins. All those attempts were unsuccessful (much like what Nomad Domenic has reported). The slop seems to be coming from the bushings (bronze apparently) which are worn, but in order to replace the bushings/pins, the OLD pins must be removed first (and that is where the issue is). I finally decided to repaint mine and re-install them as is. If I sense improper movement/slop in the tailgate later, I will order the $300 aluminum hinges from MadMook and replace them (Mike is the only source for new Nomad hinges apparently).