Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Dualfours-My 2Dr

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:4419

Dualfours-My 2Dr

\\Okay, second post here since I just joined this morning. Bit of a LONG back story as have had my 57 since '75. Hope it does get too boring for anyone to read.

As mentioned, I bought my 57 in early summer of '75 Some of the guys I ran with were doing some rather informal drag racing at our local track. I was married, two kids, working a good paying job with Boeing Aircraft Co. in Wichita, Ks. and figured it would be fun to try the race car bit. I already had a decent running '65 Impala SS 300hp/327 4 spd. Quite the ''family car', NOT, LOL.

Started looking thru local car ads and came upon an ad for a '57 210 sedan for sale in neighboring town. Went and looked, running 283, Muncie M-21, original bench, peg leg 3:55 rear end, Appliance headers, good Kansas title, $500. Bought it and drove it home with a lot of trim in the trunk and back seat, body in primer. Had a General Kinetics solid lift cam, Weiand aluminum intake and Holley double pumper. A few minor changes and off to the drag strip I went. Flat towed it behind my 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with drive shaft laying in the trunk. Ran it off and on when I could but work hours were getting longer and longer and weekends also. Best time I ever turned as I recall was 14.32 at 93.6 mph. Decent but not hardly fast enough. Finally decided after 2 1/2 years just wasn't working for me. Wife, kids, job, house payment, car payment, I'm sure a LOT of guys know the deal there. Parked it in the garage and always planned to "get back to it". Yeah, sure.

Fast forward several years. Still could not get back to the 57, added a third youngin', bought and remodeled an older house on two acres. Bought a rough 71 4WD Chevy 1/2 ton, restored it. Bought a 71 Chevelle and restored it, 57 still sitting in the garage. Retired after 36 years with the Boeing Co. and built a 35x50 steel building retirement playhouse. Okay, put it off long enough, time to get the 57 done and enjoy it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images