Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Trunk lid too high

Registered Member

Member #:4406

Trunk lid too high

I replaced my trunk lid with a used one in good condition, but after install, I found that the new lid was what seemed to be a 1/4 inch higher than the panel between the front edge of the lid and the rear window. I know the factory adjustment methods call for shimming at the hinge, but no amount of shimming was going to fix this in my opinion. I thought about bending the hinges, but I looked at the part of the trunk lid where the hinge mounts, and wondered if I could squeeze it closer to the outer skin. I was working alone, and manipulating a trunk lid without help is not easy. For better or worse, I decided to be a little adventurous (aka stupid?). I placed a wide wooden board on top of the lid, just above the hinge mounting area but also covering the edge of the lid, where the inner frame is attached to the outer skin. On top of this I placed a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel plate. For better or worse, I used a "Persuader" with several heavy blows down onto the plate. When i removed the plate and "lumber", I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lid was only half as raised above the adjacent panel as before!. No distortion to the outer skin. Encouraged by this success I placed board and plate back in place and repeated "persuasion". Lo and behold, I now have a perfectly adjusted deck lid after using this technique on both sides. I know some might consider this a bit reckless, but I can only state that it worked perfectly for me. If you decide to try this, proceed at your own risk.

Member #:3217
    Hillbilly..... Should we begin calling you 'lucky' now?

Registered Member

I don't always come out on the good side of these endeavors, but as they say, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while, LOL

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Did you even try shims?

Member #:4426
    After replacing the trunk weather strip on my 1973 Challenger, the trunk lid sat 1/4" higher. So rolled the Challenger out of the garage on a hot sunny day and placed 25 pound weights from my barbell on towels around the edge of the trunk lid. After two days it settled down and still looks good 2-1/2 years later. Hopefully, your trunk lid doesn't sink a 1/4" by the end of summer.
    Last edited by Chevy Chase; 07-16-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Registered Member

I did try shims, but there was no way to eliminate the degree to which this lid was raised, My car is all apart, and no seals on lid at this point, When I add seals, it may present the problem all over again. Yipes! No concern about paint at this stage of project.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    When you buy a trunk weatherstrip. do two things that will help you maintain your current alignment. First, get a seal for a 57, which is hollow unlike a 55-56 seal which has a solid cross section. Second, buy a seal with the softest rubber available. T&N used to be the preferred supplier but they are apparently out of business. SoffSeal is a good substitute, there may be others. Avoid Danchuk, their seals are hard. Even with that, the trunk may be hard to close at first, but if you can get it to latch, the seal will take a set and get better. This will be next to impossible with a Danchuk 55-56 seal though.

Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on seals. I thought I read where T&N was doing some parts again? I'm pretty sure I have a trunk seal squirreled away somewhere, but If it isn't soft and supple, I'll chalk it up to the ever expanding learning curve about these cars & buy one that has a better chance.

Member #:4411
    Outstanding Bill! Glad you got it adjusted. Such an old tool to use, the persuader, lol. Looking forward to seeing your car soon my friend!