Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have a Rack and Pinion installed and running?

Member #:4375

How many of you have a Rack and Pinion installed and running?

Who has a rack and pinion installed and running in a Tri-5?

(This is not a thread about should you, but rather a thread about who has.)

Thanks!
    j

Member #:3217
    Jim,

I have a corvette rack/pinion (complete '96 Corvette F/R suspension) installed on a custom frame for the '57 I'm building, but it's not 'running' as yet.

Note: Most 'factory installed' rack n pinion setups are 'front steer', whereas our old trifives are 'rear steer' from the factory. A change (and the associated issues) to RnP with our cars primarily involve decisions with this difference.

Member #:2442
    Mine has a 90 Vette rack along with the 90 Vette front & rear suspension I converted to about 3 - 4 years ago. Works great because it's with the suspension it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Jim,

I have a corvette rack/pinion (complete '96 Corvette F/R suspension) installed on a custom frame for the '57 I'm building, but it's not 'running' as yet.

Note: Most 'factory installed' rack n pinion setups are 'front steer', whereas our old trifives are 'rear steer' from the factory. A change (and the associated issues) to RnP with our cars primarily involve decisions with this difference.

Yeah my curiosity is based on; Are the only guys running RnPs on this site guys with Vette front suspensions? Or are there any out there running them on the original Tri-five frames?

I realize that most of the opinions on this site are against RnPs on standard frames, but I bet there are some guys out there doing it. My guess is they just don't talk about it because of the strong suggestions against it.

When searching for a car, I drove every decent Tri-Five within a 3 state area I could get my hands on. I drove several RnP conversions on standard frames. So I know they are out there.

I just wonder how many people are doing it on this site, especially as compared to the Vette front suspensions.

Just curious that's all. I like all types of restomods.

j

Member #:3217
    Most people I've heard of who have added RnP steering to a Trifive (with rear steer) have reported issues (turning radius, etc), BUT there have been a few who report NO issues and good results. I'm unsure and have insufficient information as to what the different RNP racks that were used or what other differences there may have been.

Someone recently reported they had good results, it was either here or the other site...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-13-2020 at 06:31 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    My 57 has a ‘92 Buick r&p with power steering unit from a 70’s Camaro. Install is custom fabricated mounting on the ‘57 Chevy frame. Steering column is a cut off original (removal of steering box) shortened so aftermarket stainless steering joints and a stainless stub shaft Between joints connect to the rack and pinion unit. The steering arms required shortening to enable full turn of the wheels. I read a lot prior to this installation that voiced a big concern on bump steer. I must say I do not experience any such ill effects. It does how ever steer a bit too easy because of the power steering unit but is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Someone recently reported they had good results, it was either here or the other site...
    I also read it somewhere and that is what got me to thinking. I figure there has been a great improvement in kits offered as-well-as skills learned/knowledge gained on how to mitigate/correct the main problems of the RnP conversion.

j

Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    My 57 has a ‘92 Buick r&p with power steering unit from a 70’s Camaro. Install is custom fabricated mounting on the ‘57 Chevy frame. Steering column is a cut off original (removal of steering box) shortened so aftermarket stainless steering joints and a stainless stub shaft Between joints connect to the rack and pinion unit. The steering arms required shortening to enable full turn of the wheels. I read a lot prior to this installation that voiced a big concern on bump steer. I must say I do not experience any such ill effects. It does how ever steer a bit too easy because of the power steering unit but is ok.
    Nice.

I love it when a plan comes together.

This is why I started this thread. I have read about lots of failures... but I wanted to see who succeeded also.

So, do you enjoy driving it with the RnP? Are there any changes/improvements you would make?

j

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Jim View Post
    Nice.

I love it when a plan comes together.

This is why I started this thread. I have read about lots of failures... but I wanted to see who succeeded also.

So, do you enjoy driving it with the RnP? Are there any changes/improvements you would make?

j
    Maybe a front sway bar to control body roll a bit in the turns. The aftermarket prices for a bolt in version scare me away. Being the car is done cutting and welding wouldn’t be a path I’d take. If you are familiar with the upscale cars (Mercury, Olds and Pontiac) of the 70’s the steering effort is real easy like they were. But knowing the Nomad wagon is not a sports car it’s fine. After all it’s still far better than the original set up. To make a big difference the whole suspension would need to be addressed to handle like a modern car. But modern car feel was not my goal. I wanted a ‘57 that somewhat drove like a ‘57. If I want modern sports car I’ll drive the ‘16 Corvette.
    Last edited by Gmvette; 08-16-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:141
    I am running Unisteer Rack and Pinion on both of my 55 wagon frames and have had no issues at all. I am using Dynatech Headers for early Camaro's on both cars and there is good clearance for the steering components
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast