Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Neutral Saftey Switch

Registered Member

Member #:625

Neutral Saftey Switch

Where do I find the adjustment procedure for this on my 56. I have the 57 Turboglide neutral safety switch due to 700r4 swap. I just spent 45 minutes searching the 55 shop manual.

Registered Member

Is this top secret technology ????

Member #:3217
    Is your neutral safety switch mounted to your steering column (a column shift column)? OR ?? I could tell you how to adjust the neutral Safety switch for an Ididit column (because I just went thru it last week)...? but for whatever you have... ???? I don't know. Give us your configuration and maybe someone can help. You apparently have a '56? but it's modified since you have a 700R4, and you're using a Turboglide (1957) Neutral Safety switch?

Registered Member

Stock column with a shorten tube form CCP. Having starting and running issues. Car is in front garage which is hotter than hell and that is not helping.

If I understand properly your situation (stock car, shortened stock column, column shifter, and transmission updated to 700 R4), I'm not sure why you had to use the turboglide neutral safety switch, unless that was an attempt to get both PARK and NEUTRAL positions of your shifter to be the ONLY 'start' situation for your car?? Depending on that switch, you *might* have to decide if you want PARK, or NEUTRAL to be your 'START' gear and go from there as you may not be able to get the two 'start' positions in the neutral safety switch to coincide with the PARK and NEUTRAL selections in your transmission??

Note: Put the gear selector in Neutral (or Park), making sure the transmission is IN that gear first, and then adjust the position of the NS switch on the column so the starting motor gets power to start...?

Registered Member

When I had a PG neutral safety switch it started in park or reverse. When I first installed this one it started in park or neutral. It sometimes needed an extra bum to start in park, now it starts in neutral or drive.

The IDIDIT column I did a couple of weeks ago included a NS switch, and it included some instructions for the various situations. There were a couple of pins that are left disconnected depending on your situation/desires. I suspect you're going to ahve to get into the switch more deeply and determine which are HOT and in what situations (gear selector position).. Once we begin to modiffy these cars (any car), it causes you to make OTHER modifications as well to make/keep it all working as desired...

but maybe someone on here has experienced THE EXACT situation as you and can help more specifically?

PS. if your current configuration WORKED correctly at one time, then either the switch has failed (needs replacing), OR either your trans linkage, or NS switch, has slipped position...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-06-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would guess the switch is bad since it's intermittent. Contacts are most likely pitted, from the high pull-in current of the solenoid. If it did work, and doesn't now the contacts probably welded together. Probably won't find much info on using a combination of different parts from different cars.

Registered Member

I have won this battle for the time being, the biggest surprise was the Philips head fastners. Thank to those who replied.