Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: 1957 2d post starting soon

Member #:3249
    I hear ya, Timo! Gonna help a friend replace a rear main seal in a 6.0 he has in his 72 Chevelle. I'm hoping it's only a one day job.

Registered Member

Member #:4460
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    I hear ya, Timo! Gonna help a friend replace a rear main seal in a 6.0 he has in his 72 Chevelle. I'm hoping it's only a one day job.
    If you can remove the trans underground the car its gonna be one day job, but if you have to remove the engine it will take longer, then you have to remove the wire harness also etc. I had fortune that my engine mounts allowed to pull the engine forward about 2" and it was enough to remove the transmission bolts and remove the trans etc. I put the rear main to the rear cover,had to loosen the oil pan bolts because the rear cover wont slide in place if the long bolts are torqued down etc

Thanks for the advice. We planned to put it on the lift and remove the transmission. I'm not sure about moving the engine forward...........

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. We planned to put it on the lift and remove the transmission. I'm not sure about moving the engine forward...........
    Thats a good way to do it. I have long engine mount plates so it was easy to slide engine forward and we did Not need engine hoist at all. I managed to but everything together and Still have a leak at the back of the engine propably the oil pan gasket because i had to lower the rear of the pan to get the rear cover in place. Gonna lower the pan tomorrow and put it with silicone and hope the leak stops there

We don't have any way to move the engine forward. Just gonna remove the trans and get it done. Hope that solves our leak.

Registered Member

We don't have any way to move the engine forward. Just gonna remove the trans and get it done. Hope that solves our leak.
    Best of Luck to the task! I just finished gluing my oil pan nack to the engine. Gonna let it dry for 24h and then try what happens

Registered Member

I had No Luck with the oil leak..my leak is from the rear main seal. I swapped new one but that started to leak also. Now i ordered tool for the install so i dont have to do it third time. Hope my oil leak stops there

Member #:530
    Stay with it Timo. You'll eventually get it fixed.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Stay with it Timo. You'll eventually get it fixed.
    Thank you and the oil leak is fixed now i bought the centering tool and installed new main seal and now it holds the oil just fine

My painter came and fixed the paint drips etc from the car and polished those up and now im gonna take the car to winter storage.

Member #:3217
    Timo, please take some photos of your car outside in sun if possible before you put it in storage??

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast