Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1957 Chevrolet rear seat riser on the wagons no carpet.

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 Chevrolet rear seat riser on the wagons no carpet.

On the 1957 Chevrolet station wagons, I believe that their was no carpet on this rear seat riser , and it was either painted the exterior body color, like on my original Surf Green 1957 handy man 150 two door wagon which had a rubber mat , or this metal riser was painted the carpet color like on a Belair wagon. I have seen carpet on this riser, but I don't believe that they originally carpeted the riser.

Member #:3217
    No, the seat riser/support was NOT carpeted. It was painted the lower body color (coordinated with the interior color). Carpet on a Nomad only went on the foot board (and was 'edged'/dressed in vinyl). under the seat on Nomads (and BelAir wagons I presume) was a piece of textured/colored rubber (same color as the carpet). I suspect this 'rubber mat' was the reason we see some Nomad underseat areas rusted (due to condensation under the rubber mat).

Note: When you paint your lower body color (turquoise) you should also paint the seat riser/support and the area which rises ~2" from the foot well to the underseat area. In fact, my suggestion would be put good paint over your primer over the entire floor as further protection against rust.