Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power brake dual master

Registered Member

Member #:4480

power brake dual master

hello all I am looking for recommendations for my 55 chevy belair, for a p/brake dual set up, on the car there's a single master w/silicone fluid, scary who or where can I pick this up. I hear there's a clearance issue on p/s, can I use the same pedal assy. thanks again....

Member #:3217
    roadster:

I use silicone DOT5 brake fluid on any of my cars after I rebuild the brake system (and after cleaning out the lines and replacing all rubber parts). I think I would 'assume' whomever did the silicone install did it correctly until you have reason to doubt that. You can bleed your wheel cylinders to determine if it was done correctly. If done correctly, the silicone doesn't contaminate or attract moisture which rusts out metal components..

If you notice the factory PB (treadlevac booster/MC) are located higher and farther to the outside of the engine compartment than the std manual MC from the factory. One reason for that is to avoid interference with the Power Steering pump (which from the factory was mounted behind the generator). if you have and choose to retain the factory PS (geneator mount), then your should anticipate interference with the typical off the shelf PB/dual MC system. There are solutions to all those issues once we know exactly what you have, and what you desire, but there are significant costs to some of the solutions!

If I understand you want to replace your single master with a dual master with Power Brake (booster?).. Do you have a treadlevac PB on it now (the factory PB system)??

Registered Member

dual master

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    roadster:

I use silicone DOT5 brake fluid on any of my cars after I rebuild the brake system (and after cleaning out the lines and replacing all rubber parts). I think I would 'assume' whomever did the silicone install did it correctly until you have reason to doubt that. You can bleed your wheel cylinders to determine if it was done correctly. If done correctly, the silicone doesn't contaminate or attract moisture which rusts out metal components..

If you notice the factory PB (treadlevac booster/MC) are located higher and farther to the outside of the engine compartment than the std manual MC from the factory. One reason for that is to avoid interference with the Power Steering pump (which from the factory was mounted behind the generator). if you have and choose to retain the factory PS (geneator mount), then your should anticipate interference with the typical off the shelf PB/dual MC system. There are solutions to all those issues once we know exactly what you have, and what you desire, but there are significant costs to some of the solutions!

If I understand you want to replace your single master with a dual master with Power Brake (booster?).. Do you have a treadlevac PB on it now (the factory PB system)??
    hello I have a signal master, I do have a power brake factory booster/master needs rebuild but still single master, I understand I have to replace the booster pedal ASSY which I have. no one in after market sells booster to clear the ps fill ?

Registered Member

brakes

hello i have a single master now, i like to install a dual master with a booster that will clear the p/s dip stick so long I don't have to invent the wheel to install it, otherwise ill just put a dual master on it.
    on the dual master is there a brake line kit to do this as well thanks lou

Registered Member

has anyone gone from a signal to dual master, I like to as well. would anyone know the parts I need to get this done, like to travel with the car need a bit more safety with the brakes thanks to all.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    When I converted to dual master I did not use a booster, because I don't like gold anodized ugly parts. No special parts required

I'm pretty sure I've read on one of the trifive forums that there IS a modern booster/dual MC that will replace the original PB MC/Booster, and allow it to remain in the same location and not interfere with the PS system (I believe it was pretty expensive?).. I'll try to find a link to the kit or part... unless someone else knows it offhand?

PS. The only brake kits that include brake lines that I've seen are disk brake upgrades. with dual MC / power booster etc but they mount the MC where the manual MC were mounted in the stock configuration (and probably will interfere with the orig PS)..

Registered Member

wow bama I hope you do find post, you think it will interfere with dip stick-on the dual circuit master, I have a signal master now, do I have to replace the pedal ASSY. would I have to use a purporting valve there are mixed opinions on that
    Last edited by roadster601@aol.com; 10-14-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Sorry but I've no idea what a 'signal master' is, nor a purporting valve.

Are you possibly referring to a 'proportioning valve'?? that is a valve for balancing the fluid flow/pressure between disk brakes and drum brakes.

Since you haven't stated, I assumed you have all stock drum brakes, and no proportioning valve is required if all four brakes are the same type (drum or disk)..

Registered Member

bama its a stock master cylinder non power, I like to put a dual master front rear for safety reasons, the car is stock drums front and rear will that master bolt up or do I have do any work other than run a brake line to master. no proportioning valve required correct, also most cars with front and rear on dual master on most updated brakes the front of master is the rear and the rear of the master is the front is this still right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast