Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: heater hose

Member #:615
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I doubt the heated air coming thru the heater cares which way the hot water is flowing thru the heater core..
    As roadster601 said "its all about the correct flow...."

Here is how I see it, let me know if I am wrong. If hooked up correctly, hot water flows from the engine directly to the heater control valve and if the valve is shut, then no hot water is in the heater core. If hooked up incorrectly, the hot water flows into the heater core then reaches the control valve so the core has hot water in it even when the heater is turned off.

Member #:4391
    Yes, it does

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If hooked up correctly, hot water flows from the engine directly to the heater control valve and if the valve is shut, then no hot water is in the heater core. If hooked up incorrectly, the hot water flows into the heater core then reaches the control valve so the core has hot water in it even when the heater is turned off.
    You've nailed their logic. That means the heater core will have water with a temperature close to that of the cold side of the radiator. Maybe 30-50° cooler than the hot side of the radiator.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    As roadster601 said "its all about the correct flow...."

Here is how I see it, let me know if I am wrong. If hooked up correctly, hot water flows from the engine directly to the heater control valve and if the valve is shut, then no hot water is in the heater core. If hooked up incorrectly, the hot water flows into the heater core then reaches the control valve so the core has hot water in it even when the heater is turned off.

and Rick replied:
    You've nailed their logic. That means the heater core will have water with a temperature close to that of the cold side of the radiator. Maybe 30-50° cooler than the hot side of the radiator.
    Tabasco and Rick are both right; you want the hot water from the engine to be controlled by the valve BEFORE it gets to the heater core, to prevent heat from the engine to 'seep' into the passenger compartment in the summer months (when heater control is OFF).
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-27-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123