Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Installed a NASCAR collapsible steering column in my 55

Banned

Member #:2775

Installed a NASCAR collapsible steering column in my 55

After looking for months at all of the steering columns out there, I decided to do something a little different. I like the slim look of the stock column, and didn't want a hefty tilt column. Plus I wanted a collapsible column since my C4 steering rack is out in front of the cross member, so I bought the Woodward safety column that is spec for NASCAR, and many other racing series. It collapses up to 11 inches, unlike other columns that maybe collapse 4 inches. It is very lightweight, and it can be adjusted in or out a couple inches. It is built similar to a telescoping driveshaft. It also has a quick-release. It is very well made, and was pretty easy to install. It can be completely removed in 5 minutes that I have to do a few times already during mock up. Since it is 1.5 inches in diameter instead of the 2 inch stock column, I had a split bushing made, and used the stock column mount.
    It was $460 for the column. http://www.woodwardsteering.com/
    IMG_8831.JPGIMG_8826.JPGIMG_8832.jpgIMG_8806.JPGIMG_8825.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-06-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Banned

The intermediate shaft used a Woodward 3/4 splined shaft and u-joint on the upper end, and cut to length with a Borgeson 17mm DD joint welded on the other end. Pay no attention to the aluminum plate I had to make, after missing my hole by oops, 3/4 of an inch.
    IMG_8340.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-06-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Member #:3217
    It looks good RD, and I liked yuor logic concerning a 'collapsible column' given the forward mounted rack. I didn't see a facility for turn signals, etc with your column??

Banned

Since I can't find any wireless controls I would like, I will probably just use switches mounted near the shifter, for the horn, and signals. I'm use to using that setup, which is what I did on my Camaro which just has a simple 3/4 DOM steel tube for a steering column. Used a on-off-on toggle switch, and it only takes 3 wires to hook it up when you use the Ron Francis turn signal converter relay box.