Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 605 Box to CPP 500

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Details on necessary mods in doing this update would be good for those of us who might consider the mod?
    A 500 is a direct bolt on for a 605 unless it is the oddball with the commie plot metric fittings, I believe headers are what complicated this install.

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497

Smile

Yeah, the headers were a big problem. When I built the car is 2005-2008 I converted from original non-ps to the 605, which at that time seemed like the way to go. No shims were needed at that time. And the box was swapped out before the drivetrain was installed. The 605 didn't use "commie plot metric fittings." Anyway my rant was just a way to dispose of some anguish and show that at times we all have crappy things to work through.
    On the bright side, I pulled the power steering pump off at the same time and found that the pump was rubbing against the rear brake line mounted to the crossmember and it was worn VERY close to breaking through the tubing, so for all the pain of the conversion, the bright side is I may not kill the car because the brakes failed!!

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Details on necessary mods in doing this update would be good for those of us who might consider the mod?
    If you are upgrading from a stock (original) steering box to any current upgrades, the biggest issue would be having to modify the existing steering column/ shaft, or (easier) upgrade to a new column. The new boxes utilize a "rag joint" between the new box and the steering shaft. The original steering shaft is one piece from the steering wheel to inside the steering box. In a severe accident with the original steering box, and the front of the car is pushed back a foot or two, the one piece shaft is driven further in the interior of the car and can take your head off. Not that a system with a rag joint would eliminate that, but betters your odds.

The old cars we love, when subject to a bad accident do nothing to protect you, most of the impact energy is transferred to the folks in the car.

This video is a perfect example why so much time and money is put into making today's cars safer. It's a little slow starting, but pay attention to the video inside the car and the steering wheel. Study it closely and think of it every time you're driving favorite car. Be safe!

https://youtu.be/mJ5PcWziXT0
    Last edited by fiftysix chevy; 03-30-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12