Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: INSULATION

Registered Member

Member #:4421

INSULATION

gets kinda warm in my `57. what`s a good insulation for under my carpet? reflect heat? thanx.

Member #:3249
    I sprayed Lizard Skin, then added a layer of cool mat from Summit.

Member #:3217
    Heat primarily comes into your passenger compartment from your engine and trans heat and from heat from the roadway. You need to think about both the firewall and the floor. Eliminate all 'openings' where hot air can enter. A 'reflective' foil will help to minimize the transmittance of heat from hot sources mentioned. Adding an 'insulation' barrier will help to minimize conducted heat. You can purchase a foil backed 1/4" thick insulation material to install under your carpet and on your firewall which will help, but make sure you have no 'openings' that hot air can enter!

PS. the information above ignores 'sun heat' which warms the roof and can be transmitted/conducted thru to the passenger compartment, and also heat transmission thru the glass. I like the original 'green tinted' E-Z-Eye glass for minimizing heat transmission thru the glass, and I also installed foil backed 1/4" insulation on my roof under the headliner in the Nomad I'm building.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-31-2020 at 07:22 AM.

I also sprayed the inside of the roof with Lizard Skin. I don't have my headliner in yet. On a 100 degree day, the outside of the roof is plenty hot, the inside is just warm. I will add other insulation before the headliner gets installed in a couple of weeks.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    thanx for your input! a while back i was told about something at the home repair stores?

I've heard that, too, but with some negatives. I (think) they were about the material, like tar, maybe? creates a nasty smell when it gets warm, I think and may "move" when it gets hot on the roof. That's why I went with the stuff from Summit...........and Lizard Skin base. I've driven my car distances in over 110 degree heat with the A/C on and been comfortable.