Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Chevy Restoration Video/ Website Suggestions

Registered Member

Member #:2201

Chevy Restoration Video/ Website Suggestions

I am a YouTube junkie and I am planning on restoring my 1955 Chevy so I thought I would combine my "talents" and see if anyone could suggest a Chevy restoration video series and/or web blog on the subject.

Specifically I want to do a complete frame off restoration and I want to acid dip the body and start from scratch so a video with that process in mind would be most helpful.

A video/ blog specific to the tri-five would be most interesting however if there is a video that does another car brand I would be interested in that as well.

THANKS!!!

Member #:3217
    Hi Chevy1955... Welcome to TriFiveChevys!

Several of us either have or are building trifives with C4 chassis/underpinnings, but there are several variations of that approach. Which approach are you taking ? (or whose kit?).. I suspect you re using the Neumann chassis since I think I read that in another of your threads??

Mike from New Orleans is building his car with the Neumann kit, so maybe he can help you out with a photo once he sees your post!

You mentioned 'acid dip'... sounds like you're wanting to 'lighten the body'.. I suspect you want a 'derusting' dip? Do you have a company or process in mind?

I took a quick look at companies who did this a few months ago, and as I recall, only ONE company is still in that business who does a good job and it seems like they are in the upper midwest area of the US? Where are you located? It's a pretty expensive process too these days. There may be other ways to get your job done just as well (or possibly better)??
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:2201
    Thanks BamaNomad for the kind welcome

>You mentioned 'acid dip'... sounds like you're wanting to 'lighten the body'.. I suspect you want a 'derusting' dip?

Yes thank you for the clarification. Yes I want a de-rusting dip to get the lurking rust out of all of the impossible to get areas.

>Do you have a company or process in mind?

No that is why I am posting here to get a better understanding of the various options and experience from the community.

>Where are you located?

Arizona

>It's a pretty expensive process too these days. There may be other ways to get your job done just as well (or possibly better)??

What is "expensive" and what other processes are out there.

The last resto I did was sand blasted the underside, the wheel wells, floor pan, and firewall and I was not satisfied because the repaint would not get back into all of the recesses so I heard about the e-Coat process where after the metal work is complete then the whole body is dipped again in a primer like material...then the final body filler is done.

Thanks for any advice.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The "de-rusting dip" is an alkaline solution not acid.

Most professional restorers don't use a dip, or even soda blasting, because there is risk of the chemicals not being neutralized, and leaking out from crevices long after priming and painting.

Typically, bodies have the paint removed from exterior panels by media blasting or by sanding. The floors, trunk area, and dash can be sandblasted.