Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I spray over 'self etching' primer ??`

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yes but is either one any good over self etch primer?

Go to bare metal, apply epoxy primer, and then spray the good stuff. Even the bad stuff will work better over that. Self etch primer is a shortcut and it's the starting point for whatever is over it.

Thing is, if you have a rusty trailer or the like, do you want to go to that trouble?

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    I have use both over self etching primer and they seemed to hold up well. This was before I knew epoxy primer existed and there's no doubt that Epoxy primer is the superior product to use these days. If it was a trailer or something similar and I already enough self etching primer left over on the shelf, I wouldnt hesitate to use it again. I guess it all depends on how much you like the trailer.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I wish it was economically feasable to sandblast both of them but at 16 & 18 foot with steel floors I could spend a fortune just in prep work before I bought paint and materials.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    We used to have a place local that taught disadvantaged people trades and they did sandblasting fairly cheap. Maybe you could spot blast the rust and scuff the rest. I live on the east coast and salt air and humidity makes sure rust is a never ending problem on anything metal we own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12