Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 55 Auto to Manual Conversion

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I own a couple ITM shifters for second gen Camaros they suck in their original application and are not worth the powder and lead to blow them to hell. My # match 74 Z28 was missing this pile of shit in 80 when I bought it.

Member #:4504
    Mine seems to shift the trans just fine and if I can use it in the 55 I will. I'm thinking of modifying a Hurst C shifter handle to fit the ITM.
    Last edited by ykf7b0; 12-27-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    Jesus is my pilot!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I serously doubt something designed for a second gen Camaro with bucket seats will clear a bench seat in a 55. More inportant is how handle moves up and down for reverse. The C handle Hurst does not do that.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    The thing is, the clearance is so tight between the floor and the bench seat that it dosent really leave much room for the modifications you'd need to do. If your money is tight, it is possible to find the correct shifter used. Make sure to get one with the correct stick. Hurst sells a bolt on C stick they claim works, but people who have tried them say they are arent built right to clear the seat.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Hurst sells a bolt on C stick they claim works
    Actually, Hurst doesn't claim the bolt on C stick works. Inexperienced and unknowing customers and tire kickers claim it works. It doesn't. There is a reason that the shifter Hurst sells as a shifter for a 55-57 bench seat car doesn't have a bolt on stick like virtually all other Hurst shifters - it won't clear the seat unless they built it that way. If you have a bolt on stick it will interfere with the bottom of the seat frame.

Looks like I'm going to be needing a Hurst shifter assembly, including the C handle, specifically for a bench seat 55 and shifter rods specifically for a Borg Warner Super T-10. I wish I could locate a deal on a used set up because this won't be cheap if new. I will be saving up for it non the less. Thanks for all your knowledge!!!
    Jesus is my pilot!

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Might try looking on Ebay for a bench seat "deep throw" shifter for a tri-five. Have seen them on there before when just "playing" around looking at tri-five items. I have a Mr. Gasket deep throw bench seat shifter in my '57 mated to a Muncie M-21 Years ago before Hurst started to provide such it was rather common to see bench seats modified with a portion of the front of the bench seat frame cut and re-upholstered to provide the throw. Be sure you get a mounting plate for the Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission also.
    Last edited by Dualfours; 12-28-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The Hurst shifter for a 55-57 was available before the Mr. Gasket one. There's nothing wrong with the Mr. Gasket clone, it's a nice copy in every way. I have one. The major difference between the two shifters is that the Hurst stick is welded and the Mr. G is one piece. Not sure what's different about the mounting plate between Muncie and BW. The Muncie mounting plate that came with the Mr. Gasket shifter works fine on a BW transmission. The shift arms on the side cover are different for a BW, as are the rods. I have used mixed and matched Hurst arms and rods with the shifter - so that is an option if you piece together something.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    is it true, you can send a shifter to hurst to get it rebuilt? i heard something about this years ago. thanx.

This is a Mr. Gasket shifter assembly for a tri-five with bench. Based on previous post, I'm thinking I cant use it due the the shifter shaft configuration at the base. I should add that I'm 5'5'' so I won't be moving the seat to the rear most position.

Jesus is my pilot!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast