Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 55 Auto to Manual Conversion

Member #:4504
    Thanks Rick! Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    Jesus is my pilot!

Member #:4504
    One last question if I may? I see there are different depth throw out bearings so how do I know which size I will need? I have a Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed and I have just ordered a clutch linkage set up for a 57 including the fork.
    Jesus is my pilot!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Trannie is a non factor a super T-10 or oem 3 speed same TO bearing. You need the one that matchs the clutch & PP.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I believe the diagram clutch uses the short bearing and the three finger, spring clutch uses the longer one, but double check to be sure.

Member #:3217
    I think Richard had a typo.. he meant 'diaphragm' ? and I think the other type (3 finger) is called a 'Long style'? Not sure which TO bearing goes with each though...

Registered Member

I alway thought a 3 finger in GM was a Borg & Beck, the Long style was Ford thing.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That would be correct on the Long style vs. Borg & Beck. B&B uses a short throwout bearing as does a raised finger diaphragm. A flat diaphragm (which was the original clutch in a trifive) uses the long throwout bearing.

A Long style is sometimes used in GM products for racing/high performance applications. It is superior to a Borg & Beck because a B&B has rollers which add clamping force as rpm increases, and these can stick. A Long style can have weights on the fingers which also add clamping force with increasing rpm and they do not stick. The weights are usually bolts and nuts and add a bit of adjustability to this feature. I am not sure on the throwout bearing - it might be "medium" length, at least sometimes.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I think Richard had a typo.. he meant 'diaphragm' ? and I think the other type (3 finger) is called a 'Long style'? Not sure which TO bearing goes with each though...
    Yes, diaphragm, spell checker is wonderful...

I believe both Long and Borg&Beck were available for GM, but I could be wrong. As I recall, the high clutch pressure plates (3000#) were all B&B, but it's been many years since I used a B&B!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The pressure plate cover for both B&B and diaphragm clutches have a symmetrical 6 bolt circle pattern for attachment to the flywheel. The dimension of the bolt circle varies with pressure plate size.l The pressure plate cover for a Long style has 6 bolts but the pattern is 3 pairs. It is a special pattern that most flywheels don't have. (Can be added or special ordered though.)

Registered Member

I really thought the 3500 or 4000 pound roller assisted PP that I used to run in my 67 Camaro 40 years ago was a B&B. I still have the Competition Engineering firewall brace on the car that was necessary to prevent flex. Obviously, my memory is fading on this one.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast