Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 55 Auto to Manual Conversion

Registered Member

Member #:4406
    [QUOTE=Dave the Wave;58777]is it true, you can send a shifter to hurst to get it rebuilt? i heard something about this years ago. thanx.[/QUO There is a guy here in CT that deals in shifters. His business card says: "Aftermarket Shifters" New/Used/Reconditioned. he is at all the local swap meets (when they are held). His name is Mike Johnson (860) 868-2746. mrj11@charter.net. I have purchased a kit to marry my Comp Plus to a Muncie M-20 from him. He might be able to help you out.

Member #:4504
    Could anyone tell me if any vendor has a complete clutch linkage kit (clutch pedal to throw out bearing) and/or make a recommendation please? I have a 55 but I understand I'm needing a 57 set up in order to get a new complete unit based on previous responses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I will also need a pivot ball or bush my 55 pivot ball in order to make the 57 set up work? Again, I need everything after the clutch pedal up to the throw out bearing. Thanks!!!
    Jesus is my pilot!

Jesus is my pilot!

I found the kit pictured above just now and it's for a 57. Is it missing anything I'm going to need other than the clutch fork?
    Jesus is my pilot!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looks complete except for fork and t/o bearing.

Banned

Member #:4739
    I'd go hydraulic. With those, there is nothing to adjust and the pedal effort is greatly reduced. If too expensive for your budget, you could construct something similar yourself, using either new or used parts from other vcehicles:

https://www.malwoodusa.com/hydraulic...let-reservoir/

I can't afford the hydraulic route but thanks Al Dente! I have found complete clutch linkage kits for 55's and 57's for my 55. Would you still recommend that I get the 57 kit and change to the larger pivot ball or go with the 55 kit? I has been mentioned on this site that the 57 kit is a better design regarding the clutch fork. I'm just wondering what are the differences between the 55 and 57 clutch forks? I'm sorry to keep dragging this out. Thanks!
    Jesus is my pilot!

Banned

Member #:4739
    Well, I've never went that route myself. So, I'd say, go with the '57 conversion, as a unanimous vote from the experts here

I'm sure I will go with the 57 design but I am curious as to why the 57 is a better design? Is it the angle of the clutch fork?
    Last edited by ykf7b0; 11-25-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Jesus is my pilot!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The 55 clutch fork has a ball socket and the adjuster nut on the rod is a ball. it depends on not having slack in the connection for the rod to stay in the socket on the clutch fork, as well as a small spring. The 57 clutch fork has a clevis connection, you put a pin through a hole. As long as the pin does fall out, the connection stays together. 56 is similar to 55 but the parts are different in detail. The 55-56 setups are not terrible but the 57 is better IMO. The other deal on this is that the 57 parts are much easier to find new.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 11-25-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast