Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asbestos!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497

Asbestos!

I'm fairly sure everyone's heard about asbestos and how bad it is for your health. Back in the mid to late 70's it was outlawed, but due to businesses fighting the ban it was reintroduced in lots of items but restricted in a handful of building materials. Bottom line, clutches, brakes and certain types of gaskets may still contain this nasty product. So be careful when working with these items. I lost my father a few years ago from this, he was a carpenter who did a lot of drywall work when he was young before it was outlawed in that product. Exposure can not show up as a heath problem until many years have passed. I worked for Cummins Engine Company who was adamant that none of their products contained asbestos, yeah right! Exhaust gaskets they purchased from China for some power gen applications was made with asbestos without anyone knowing for a while.

Ok I'm done, just be careful around some clutches, brakes and fiberous gaskets, wear masks (Haven't heard that before) and don't clean potentially contaminated areas with air guns, use a vacuum.

The following link to everyones favorite gov. organization, the EPA contains a lot of info about asbestos.

https://www.epa.gov/asbestos

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    thanks for warning, sorry about you dad.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Thank you very much!

Member #:1707
    And down here we have a law that prohibits the import of asbestos. The authorities governing car imports caught on that some old cars might have asbestos in them, so they started targetting older cars like the "barn finds". All importers must make a declaration there is no asbestos in the vehicle and spot checks are done. If some is found then it will cost you heaps in fines and removal of any asbestos. So now anyone from down under must get the bad stuff removed form a vehicle before shipping. A mate bought a 56 4 door HT and went to the trouble of getting contacts in the US to check it over, replace all brakes and gaskets etc and supplied receipts for the work done and parts. Then he got hit for extra customs duty for the added parts!! and added value!!!

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussienomad View Post
    And down here we have a law that prohibits the import of asbestos. The authorities governing car imports caught on that some old cars might have asbestos in them, so they started targetting older cars like the "barn finds". All importers must make a declaration there is no asbestos in the vehicle and spot checks are done. If some is found then it will cost you heaps in fines and removal of any asbestos. So now anyone from down under must get the bad stuff removed form a vehicle before shipping. A mate bought a 56 4 door HT and went to the trouble of getting contacts in the US to check it over, replace all brakes and gaskets etc and supplied receipts for the work done and parts. Then he got hit for extra customs duty for the added parts!! and added value!!!
    Des, your story just proves that when it comes to any 'government entity', the citizen is going to LOSE...

Sure thing Gary. When we deal with a guvmint department we suddenly get renamed.............to Ben Dover.

Governments at work, what would we do without them, maybe enjoy life a little more!
    One more asbestos thought, during the rebuild of my 56, the whole underside of the car was undercoated. The material contained fibers I assumed to be asbestos, so if you are cleaning old undercoating off, to be safe, protect yourself and those dear to you.

LOL... Ben Dover... at first I was thinking who in the heck is that... one of my many DUH moments!

And the big guy who does all the heavy lifting around here is Hugh Jarse.

I know a few of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast