Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ididit steering column knock-offs

Member #:516

Ididit steering column knock-offs

Hey All,

Happy New Year!! I have an opportunity to buy a knock-off copy of a Ididit steering column. Does anyone have or heard anything bad about them? Thanks.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There are some really crappy Chinese made clones out there. Most of them have safety problems with the tilt mechanism, having among other things, plastic parts in the tilt joint that can and will break and leave you without steering. A few years back all this was documented fairly well in New Zealand and Australia, both of which countries have to approve such pieces before they can be sold in those countries. (We have no such approvals required here in the US.) CPP and Helix are two sellers of bad columns, but there are a couple more whose names escape me. There were quite a few threads about this on trifive.com. Do you know the source of the column you are offered?

Thanks Rick, I'm going to look at them tomorrow. They are at a shop that does restorations and customs in Sacramento. I'm going to look over them carefully.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Thanks Rick, I'm going to look at them tomorrow. They are at a shop that does restorations and customs in Sacramento. I'm going to look over them carefully.
    You should probably do more than 'look them over'; you'll have to disassemble them to determine if there is a mechanical (metal) safety for the tilt mechanism to prevent total loss of steering should the plastic Tilt coupler break. Take some photos, find a manufacturer's marking or part number, or find out who/where they come from. That's a poor way to save $$... and yes at $200-$300 they are MUCH less expensive than buying Flaming River or IDIDIT brand, but there's an old saying that fits here... One gets what one pays for! If you don't want to fork over the $600 or more for a reputable tilt column, then stick with the original column!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I too have heard the horror stories of the Chinese knock off columns, wound stick to the name brands.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Troy, I have a 'real' Ididit column here. Bought it years ago when I was going to install an early '90s Buick rack and pinion unit in my '57. Plans changed and I never used it. There are different lengths. Mine is the same length as Jim Meyer used in his rear steer R&P kits which used late '80s Buick racks. Send me a PM if this will work for you. I've got it here in my parts storage room (AKA 'spare bedroom') somewhere.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 01-06-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Member #:3249
    I remember hearing about the possible problems with the knock off columns. From a safety standpoint, I wasn't willing to risk it to save money. I've put Ididit in my Chevelle and my 56, and I'm glad I did.

Well I ended up buying the steering column, it's from Classic Performance Products (CPP) It's used but in good shape. I kind of keep going between I'm glad I got it and I wish I'd pass on it. Oh well I have it now so I'll use it!!

Member #:3

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Thanks for finding and posting that document, Sid. It pretty much says it all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast